Torsional Damper Bearing Fitment ??

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
So I have the 2005 engine that is all taken apart and needs reassembly. Claviger and 1olbul stayed over on their way home from RAA West. We went through the engine and trans and found it to be in great shape. The torsional damper bearing is in excellent condition but we were trying to determine if it was installed with the seal face the right way. Currently it is installed with the sealed face away from the gear and the open face towards the gear.

I have been searching adds for the torsional damper to see which way it should be installed. I have seen them installed both ways. The 6 adds I have seen showed 3 one way and 3 the other way.

Even my Triumph Shop Manual has drawings showing it both ways.

Which way is right ? Who has the definite answer ?

Option 1:
20191023_011445.jpg
Option 2:
20191023_011500.jpg

@warp9.9 As I understand it, Option 2 is the correct orientation, is that correct?

Of the ones I see listed for sale, all the post 2009 are installed as Option 2, for the early year listings I find a mix of 1 and 2.

I tried digging through my pictures from my tear down, but did not capture this in any picture.

FINALLY got the damper out and the bearings are both OK (^&!%!*^#!%$@] there is 7 hours of my life I will never get back. The front one is around the wrong way so at least I found that. I also found that the nut is 35mm so will have to order a new socket *^%^(&(&^%. Will replace the bearings and put it back together. New drive shaft Diff and wheel bearings and cross my fingers. I also found that the universal is very tight on one axis and was wondering if this would cause harmonics and premature wear on the rear spline?????
DSCN2537.JPG
DSCN2535.JPG

Did find this.

And warps response confirming that Option 1 is incorrect:
@Doc Roc your post above about the could very well be the vibration culprit with one axis stuff it could force a wobble. Sorry but not sorry the bvb earing weren't bad but atleast you fixed one that was installed by a train triumph technician production line monkey with no QA. Afterwards. While your at it check the torque on the output shaft nut. I know a captain in ohio that had shifting problems in as nd out of first gear. His nut backed off a few threads allow the shaft to float a d to and fro from the torque genarated by the helix angle on the helical gears. Two gear amplifying the torque for movement. The movement allowed one of the gear shims to drop down and block the dogs from fitting in the pockets. Youll probably have to put it in gear to check the torque.

Option 1:
20191023_011445.jpg
Option 2:
20191023_011500.jpg

@warp9.9 As I understand it, Option 2 is the correct orientation, is that correct?

Of the ones I see listed for sale, all the post 2009 are installed as Option 2, for the early year listings I find a mix of 1 and 2.

I tried digging through my pictures from my tear down, but did not capture this in any picture.
Yes sir you are correct. The side of the bearing with no shield goes forward so it can be de oil from the gear box. Like in option #2 !!!

Back