To Cover the Trip K&N's or Not To Cover

Jack,

I understand why you have fitted the flap to keep the hot air from the radiator from your intakes.

I'm kinda curious what effect the flap has on the temperature of the oil in your oil tank?

My $3.99 oil dipstick/thermometer (converted meat thermometer - told you I was a cheapskate!) shows my oil at 190 degF after a decent journey.

(The dipstick/thermometer I had on my Valk used to show 210-215degF but that was straight into the engine casing sump)

I see on your pics that you don't have a oil tank thermometer on Spike, do you have access to a infra red thermometer or any other way of finding out what temp your oil is running?

Curious Tony

Tony

Your converted meat thermometer Is probably more accurate than the ones for the bikes..Most are junk..190 to 200 Is perfect. When I first got spike I took his temp every day for a week with an infrared at differant locations and found the oil was always cooler than 195..From what I have read and heard the water temp.would have to be over 230 to make the oil temp over 200 on a rocket.I don't think the flap has any effect on oil temp. Actually a bit more cool air hitting It..So until your water boils I dont worry bout oil temp..plus synthetic oils are good till about 250..Jack

Back