Tires: Metzler vs. Avon vs. Bridgestone

The Avon is the most expensive option for the front tire and by some accounts it isn't the best choice for wet traction. I haven't tried it, so I can only go by the dozens of comments here and on the .com site. With the professional research and opinion of one of our most knowledgable users here (IMFASTTOO- a lifelong member of the motorcycling industry) I was the first to try the B'stone Exedra Max for the rear and several other tires for the front.

If you are a performance and/or handling-oriented canyon-carver or backroads/twisties traveler I'd recommend either the Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 or a matching Exedra Max in the 130/70 17 size for the front wheel. Either of those choices will lighten up the overall feel of our nearly 800 pound beasts considerably, dramatically improving turn-in, tracking and low speed maneuvering. Both will make our bruiser cruisers feel 100-200 pounds lighter overall and each adds immeasurably to the "flickability" of an R3.

Personally, I slightly preferred the Michelin for its marginally more planted feel tracking through turns, but have stayed with the Ex Max 130 due to the additional nimbleness it affords me, an aggressive rider who values the added quickness and responsiveness in turns and transitions. The only knock I have against the 130 is that with the 200rwhp I have, it tends to float or dance around a bit on hard straight line acceleration, so you need to know its limits there, but even more so if you're adding in any considerable lean angle.:eek:

Bridgestone Front Exedra Max 130/70R-17 Blackwall Tire - 004829 Motorcycle Goldwing - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

Michelin Front Commander II 140/75VR-17 Blackwall Tire - 49944 - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

BTW, that's a great screen name you have, xlr8tion.:thumbsup:

Phil....

THANKS!

You are a LIFESAVER with that info.....I am not going to be tearing it up and Dennis Kirk has the pair of Bstones for 270 shipped 157 rear 92 front(for the 130).

I am just going to be doing average riding 85 per cent of the time and 15 per cent moderate.

So knowing that...Would you recommend the Exedra Max 240/55 ZR16 in back and the 130/70 zr17's on the front......I am going to be doing moderate riding at most so I am WAAAY below your riding skill set on this bike....Will be doing 90 percent 1 up 10 per cent 2 up

Regards....Greg

PS..Thanks again...These dealers are killing me! None will allow me to bring online tires in so I have to get bent over...Not a prob if they have the correct sized tire and speed rating I am looking for.....

Since you are neither an aggressive, nor a performance-oriented rider I would recommend that you go with either the Michelin 140 or the Avon 140 or 150 up front. The advantage of the 140 is that it will lighten up the overall feel of bike under nearly all conditions and it will be considerably easier to turn/steer at lower speeds (think parking lots and driveways). The Michelin's tread pattern matches up very nicely with that of the Ex Max you are putting on the rear. Again, from the many comments about the Avons I've seen posted up, the Michelin would appear to have better wet weather characteristics, so that would be my choice. They are both excellent, high quality tires, though.

Happy trails and do let us know where that Bong Recreation Area is!

Since you are neither an aggressive, nor a performance-oriented rider I would recommend that you go with either the Michelin 140 or the Avon 140 or 150 up front. The advantage of the 140 is that it will lighten up the overall feel of bike under nearly all conditions and it will be considerably easier to turn/steer at lower speeds (think parking lots and driveways). The Michelin's tread pattern matches up very nicely with that of the Ex Max you are putting on the rear. Again, from the many comments about the Avons I've seen posted up, the Michelin would appear to have better wet weather characteristics, so that would be my choice. They are both excellent, high quality tires, though.

Thanks Phil!

Gonna go with the B-Stones and the Michelin Commander II 140/75's.....The wet weather is a cincher on the deal......Now all I have to do is find the brake pads for an 07 classic and I am off to the shop!

Thanks again!

Greg

Happy trails and do let us know where that Bong Recreation Area is!

Hi Triumphil. A little late, but I read about the tyre stuff just now. My question and maybe the issue for my right choice of tyres is the torque/hp of my supercharged Rlll ( 345/ 306 backwheel): don't they- Avon front, Extra Max back- come off the rim at top accelerating /speed?
Tnx for your response.

I've got 30K miles on my R3 and have tried a variety of tires. Wasn't happy with the OEM Metzlers: found that the rear wore out quickly and the front "cupped" early. Tried the Avons and I was much happier. Although the rear didn't last much longer than the Metzler, the front did much better in regard to cupping. I read on this forum where the ideal combo is an Avon on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear, with some getting 11K out of the Bridgy. I tried this combo at my last tire change and noted no anomalies in the bike's handling or performance as compared to having 2 Metzlers or 2 Avons. Went on a 9-day ride up into Appalachia last month with 4,500 miles on my Bridgy. Handled great but I learned that the Bridgy just can't handle the power and torque of the R3. The tire absolutely shredded itself on the twisties: was bald at 5,500 miles and was shocked to notice cord (attached) at only 6K miles. I'm on my way to do the 30K service today with a new Avon to be mounted. I'll never mount another Bridgy again and will stick with dual Avons from here on out.

20141110_120638.jpg
I dont see any shredding but its certainly worn out down to the cords so to be fair youd have to ride on the same roads to compare tires

Great thread for a new Triumph owner here! I am sold on the B-Stone Exedra Max 240/55-16 on the rear...What size Avon do you suggest in the front as I see people deviating from the 150/80-17's?
Any advice on an optimal Avon Front for the Exedra Max Rear?
Can't ride till I replace these bald metzlers....Never seen cupping on the front like I have on this bike!
Thanks for your help....

This may be of some help to you . . .

Possible Rocket Roadster Tires.jpg

I dont see any shredding but its certainly worn out down to the cords so to be fair youd have to ride on the same roads to compare tires

Me thinks that tire was ran under inflated! :eek:
Properly inflated the most wear will be to the center, like this one of mine last year.

New Excedra Max.jpg

Hi Triumphil. A little late, but I read about the tyre stuff just now. My question and maybe the issue for my right choice of tyres is the torque/hp of my supercharged Rlll ( 345/ 306 backwheel): don't they- Avon front, Extra Max back- come off the rim at top accelerating /speed?
Tnx for your response.

I've never run an Avon, unforgiven, so I really can't answer your question. What I can say is that with the rear wheel power you have with that blower running, it's launches, burnouts and wheel spinning that you'll need to be careful with, no matter what tire(s) you choose. You probably are not spending excessive periods of time at sustained speeds of 225+ kph so, I'd think that most tires with speed ratings of V and higher should be fine.

I'm getting ready to replace a front Michelin Pilot 2, 140/75-R17.

I've got complaint at all about the tire. Just wondering if anybody has some experience with or comments about the Pirelli Night Dragon.

A complete waste of Money. Bought a set for the Harley and replaced them before they wore out. Very soft and cupped after just 2,000 miles. Proper air and balance. just a real bad tire.

Back