Tires: Metzler vs. Avon vs. Bridgestone

For what this is worth. I posted this a couple of weeks ago.

So I finally had a chance to really ride the Avon today. It reached about 55 degrees today. Put about 170 miles on the bike. Rode with my 3 sons and their two friends. My boys on their Ninjas; ZX6, 636, and a ZX10. Two friends were on a 636 and the other on a Street Glide with a 23" front wheel, all the performance goodies etc... Less than a mile in the ride we finally got passed some slow moving traffic and I dropped it into second grabbed a fist full and pulled the front wheel right up. Now if I had done this with the Metzler it would have broken loose and I would have spun the tire. YAHOOOOO! Finally I have a tire that gets some traction.

We rode very hard up Long Pond Road into Plymouth, back through Carver, Wareham and Bourne dragging pegs and dropping knees. That tire gave me complete confidence in its cornering ability. No wobbles or squirrely little throttle ups coming out of corners. No accidental drifting or breaking loose. A solid road grip and excellent stopping power too.

The only rider I had trouble with was my son on his ZX10. The other 4 couldn't keep up. Some Hooligan antics and a few wheelies. A few of off camber turns, hard braking into narrow right or left hand turns and I am thoroughly impressed with this new tire. It feels as confident as the Q3s on the Ninjas. I am very impressed.

Now for some really warm days and I will see if I can grind those little titties of the pegs.

Hello Phantomjock and welcome from Virginia. I have the Excedra Max tires on my R3T right now and have had them on it for the last 12k miles. They will need to be replaced soon I expect since I am starting to see the cupping on the front tire. However, they are still holding up quite well on the wet cold roads of this last week. Good luck with your new tire...

Boog... haven't spoken w/you in a while from down here in NC. I'm sitting on 8k on the OE Metzlers on my R3Touring (and let me tell you, I've ridden/maintained 'em VERY carefully/conservatively, trying to make 'em last a bit longer than seems typical from reading others' accounts, BUT that hasn't helped much... I've never seen such a sorry mess of a set of tires in that short of a timespan!), and wanted to ask you how you feel about the Excedra Max's after you posted here, back in late 2014. And what sort of mileage did you ultimately end up with before replacing, etc.... and would you/did you replace 'em with same, etc. Looking fwd to hearing from you, here, and will be appreciative of you input, as I'm in process of tediously wading through all of the info I can find on what might be the best overall solution to the R3T tire conundrum! ONS~

Last edited:
7 year old thread *****head. Interesting first post, but at least there’s no need for an introduction. You’ve made it pretty clear what you’re about. I’m guessing you lowered both the average age and average IQ in one go. Well done.
I reported the troll.

Back