Tires: Metzler vs. Avon vs. Bridgestone

phantomjock

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph Rocket III, Kawasaki Vulcan 750, Honda XL250R
I've got 30K miles on my R3 and have tried a variety of tires. Wasn't happy with the OEM Metzlers: found that the rear wore out quickly and the front "cupped" early. Tried the Avons and I was much happier. Although the rear didn't last much longer than the Metzler, the front did much better in regard to cupping. I read on this forum where the ideal combo is an Avon on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear, with some getting 11K out of the Bridgy. I tried this combo at my last tire change and noted no anomalies in the bike's handling or performance as compared to having 2 Metzlers or 2 Avons. Went on a 9-day ride up into Appalachia last month with 4,500 miles on my Bridgy. Handled great but I learned that the Bridgy just can't handle the power and torque of the R3. The tire absolutely shredded itself on the twisties: was bald at 5,500 miles and was shocked to notice cord (attached) at only 6K miles. I'm on my way to do the 30K service today with a new Avon to be mounted. I'll never mount another Bridgy again and will stick with dual Avons from here on out.

20141110_120638.jpg

The R3 Touring was briefly sold with Exedra - not Max. That tore itself apart under the torque too. Curious to hear if this was the Max or no.

I pretty much agree on the post, aside from that. My front Metzeler cupped madly after just a few thousand miles, front end shake all over the place and the bike handled like garbage in general, had to wrestle it into the curves. Avons - huge difference for the positive, the bike basically reads my mind and tracks superbly and thus far no worries on wear and tear. This is a 180 rear, though, on the R3 T.

You rode 500 miles on a bald tyre and now are complaining the cords are showing. *** me dead, what did you expect? Anyone can get good or crap mileage out of anything; it just depends on how they ride and the road surface- some roads are harder on tyres than others. Looks like yours wore out pretty evenly. Don't know what your complaining about. Maybe riding a big bike is too expensive for you.

Avons - absolutely the best choice. Got 9K on my current set and my tech tells me I have 2-3K more. Best handling, too.

Avons - absolutely the best choice. Got 9K on my current set and my tech tells me I have 2-3K more. Best handling, too.

Service manager at the dealership told me one of his customers uses Avons on his Rocket and routinely gets 11- 12 k on them as well

Your problem was that the rear was not the B'stone Exedra Max radial. You chose the wrong Exedra ( a bias ply tire) and worse yet you had it mismatched with a radial in front!

It appears that you own a two-tone 2006/7 Classic, is that correct? You are discarding the Exedra Max radial, which is considerably less expensive than the Avons, for no good reason at all. Avon's front radial may have an edge over some of the alternatives in a 150 size (not necessarily in the 140 or 130 sizes), but many here believe that the 240 rear tires are quite comparable.

Last edited:
Big Kel had the Avon front Extra Max rear combo on his Standard .. said it "transformed" his handling .. that's the umpteenth rider that's praised that combo .. know what i'll be buying next time around.

Back