Tires: Metzler vs. Avon vs. Bridgestone

I think TC said it right when he included the apostrophe S (plural) in the ME880:thumbsup:
Probably too many to count.

I may have misspoke, on most tires, there is a nylon ply and below that the metal cord, depending on the tire type, in the photo on the front page it looked to be nylon ply.

I've got 30K miles on my R3 and have tried a variety of tires. Wasn't happy with the OEM Metzlers: found that the rear wore out quickly and the front "cupped" early. Tried the Avons and I was much happier. Although the rear didn't last much longer than the Metzler, the front did much better in regard to cupping. I read on this forum where the ideal combo is an Avon on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear, with some getting 11K out of the Bridgy. I tried this combo at my last tire change and noted no anomalies in the bike's handling or performance as compared to having 2 Metzlers or 2 Avons. Went on a 9-day ride up into Appalachia last month with 4,500 miles on my Bridgy. Handled great but I learned that the Bridgy just can't handle the power and torque of the R3. The tire absolutely shredded itself on the twisties: was bald at 5,500 miles and was shocked to notice cord (attached) at only 6K miles. I'm on my way to do the 30K service today with a new Avon to be mounted. I'll never mount another Bridgy again and will stick with dual Avons from here on out.
20141110_120638.jpg
IM running the MICH commander 2 rear and the BRIDG 130 front excedra max and the bike handles great and they are mounted on 18 inch CF BST rims

I've got 30K miles on my R3 and have tried a variety of tires. Wasn't happy with the OEM Metzlers: found that the rear wore out quickly and the front "cupped" early. Tried the Avons and I was much happier. Although the rear didn't last much longer than the Metzler, the front did much better in regard to cupping. I read on this forum where the ideal combo is an Avon on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear, with some getting 11K out of the Bridgy. I tried this combo at my last tire change and noted no anomalies in the bike's handling or performance as compared to having 2 Metzlers or 2 Avons. Went on a 9-day ride up into Appalachia last month with 4,500 miles on my Bridgy. Handled great but I learned that the Bridgy just can't handle the power and torque of the R3. The tire absolutely shredded itself on the twisties: was bald at 5,500 miles and was shocked to notice cord (attached) at only 6K miles. I'm on my way to do the 30K service today with a new Avon to be mounted. I'll never mount another Bridgy again and will stick with dual Avons from here on out.
20141110_120638.jpg
SO sounds like you beat the crap outa that 800 pound bike treating it like a roadracer and then your surprised that you wore the tires out ??

I'm thinking he ran the Excedra on the back ... not the Excedra Max! I've got over 6000 miles on my Excedra Max and looks like its about half gone! I expect atleast another 5000!

I'm sold on the Avon Cobras on my Touring. As the OP noted, the Metz wear out too quick, and front cups on a couple thousand miles. Avon and Metz both seem to have good grip, but I get roughly 50% more miles on the Avons, and the steering is a bit quicker.

I'm sold on the Avon Cobras on my Touring. As the OP noted, the Metz wear out too quick, and front cups on a couple thousand miles. Avon and Metz both seem to have good grip, but I get roughly 50% more miles on the Avons, and the steering is a bit quicker.
Great thread for a new Triumph owner here! I am sold on the B-Stone Exedra Max 240/55-16 on the rear...What size Avon do you suggest in the front as I see people deviating from the 150/80-17's?

Any advice on an optimal Avon Front for the Exedra Max Rear?

Can't ride till I replace these bald metzlers....Never seen cupping on the front like I have on this bike!

Thanks for your help....

The Avon is the most expensive option for the front tire and by some accounts it isn't the best choice for wet traction. I haven't tried it, so I can only go by the dozens of comments here and on the .com site. With the professional research and opinion of one of our most knowledgable users here (IMFASTTOO- a lifelong member of the motorcycling industry) I was the first to try the B'stone Exedra Max for the rear and several other tires for the front.

If you are a performance and/or handling-oriented canyon-carver or backroads/twisties traveler I'd recommend either the Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 or a matching Exedra Max in the 130/70 17 size for the front wheel. Either of those choices will lighten up the overall feel of our nearly 800 pound beasts considerably, dramatically improving turn-in, tracking and low speed maneuvering. Both will make our bruiser cruisers feel 100-200 pounds lighter overall and each adds immeasurably to the "flickability" of an R3.

Personally, I slightly preferred the Michelin for its marginally more planted feel tracking through turns, but have stayed with the Ex Max 130 due to the additional nimbleness it affords me, an aggressive rider who values the added quickness and responsiveness in turns and transitions. The only knock I have against the 130 is that with the 200rwhp I have, it tends to float or dance around a bit on hard straight line acceleration, so you need to know its limits there, but even more so if you're adding in any considerable lean angle.:eek:

Bridgestone Front Exedra Max 130/70R-17 Blackwall Tire - 004829 Motorcycle Goldwing - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

Michelin Front Commander II 140/75VR-17 Blackwall Tire - 49944 - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

BTW, that's a great screen name you have, xlr8tion.:thumbsup:

Back