Thoughts on trailering

I only use my friends trailer when Hunting Goats and attending the RAA events and just to put it in perspective I use a trailer and remember I am built like a West Virginia Family Goat Molester :D
I carry spare parts like brake pads, clutch and throttle cables, usually a used tyre,spare plugs , air compreesor. various fluids, tools etc you would be suprised how many attend these events and their bikes are not ready for the mountains I cannot tell you how many brake pads i have changed for people at the RAA events.
At any large gathering anyone with this type of motobike experience knows you should always have a back up vehicle or two, we have had to use the trailers in the past for riders who have went down and we have even helped other riders who were stuck on the BRP with a flat tyre.
Now am I a fan of trailers no I am not but like everything else they have a very important role to play when needed, plus you can bring along as much underwear(Jim please take note)as you want , jackets, helmets, socks, kitchen sink etc.:D

I only use my friends trailer when attending the RAA events and just to put it in perspective I put around 16-20000miles a year on my bikes, all of you are missing the main point about trailering, sure a you get older it is a lot easier, weather also plays a big part, now the reason I use a trailer and remember I am built like a greek god :D
I carry spare parts like brake pads, clutch and throttle cables, usually a used tyre,spare plugs , air compreesor. various fluids, tools etc you would be suprised how many attend these events and their bikes are not ready for the mountains I cannot tell you how many brake pads i have changed for people at the RAA events.
At any large gathering anyone with this type of motobike experience knows you should always have a back up vehicle or two, we have had to use the trailers in the past for riders who have went down and we have even helped other riders who were stuck on the BRP with a flat tyre.
Now am I a fan of trailers no I am not but like everything else they have a very important role to play when needed, plus you can bring along as much underwear(Jim please take note)as you want , jackets, helmets, socks, kitchen sink etc.:D
Plus a large knock down dog crate, just in case Ya' corner and catch the Damm GOAT:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I recently bought a 10' trailer from Tractor Supply to pick up the wreck I bought, and want to use it to tow my low rider to the drag strip. Very nice trailer, and has a drop tail ramp. However, I know that my low rider will bottom out going on, or off. Trying to come up with ideas. Thinking if I had the safety chains the right length, and uncoupled the hitch, that when going up the ramp, the trailer would tilt up just enough to make it a straight shot, then when passing center of gravity, would come back down. What do you think?o_O:confused:;):)

Trailering the Harley will be a last minute decision for us. Many factors will be considered. Age, level of arthritic pain, weather, level of arthritic pain, you get the drift. We’re just not kids anymore. If needed I will rent that Uhaul trailer pictured earlier. It’s 20 per day. I want to ride pain free while we’re there. Waiting for it..............

There's no reason to look down on someone who chooses to trailer their bike somewhere. That's no different than Harley riders who think a Harley is the only worthy motorcycle on the planet, which is quite lame.

There are multiple logical reasons someone might trailer a bike, many that have already been mentioned in this thread. We just took a family vacation to Idaho to visit friends who had recently moved over there. I had no problem trailering the R3 there for the following reasons...

1) So I could be with the family in the mini-van. After all, it was a "family" vacation. I was fortunate to be bringing the bike at all.
2) I like keeping as low of mileage as possible on my R3. It's an '05 with only 15K miles and still looks brand new. I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.
3) I-90 across eastern WA (other than where the following pic was taken) as well as most Interstate highways in general are as boring as all get out - totally unenjoyable IMO.
4) I've had 2 back surgeries and the seat on my Rocket isn't really that comfortable for hours at a time. When we reached our destination I was anxious to ride, not worn out from riding, and man were there some great roads there and into Montana.

Trailering isn't just for "sissies" and my R3 looks as bad-a$$ on the trailer as it does riding down the road!

Vantage, WA I-90

IMG_0294.JPG

The following sign is on the Idaho-Montana border going into Montana over Thompson pass. It should really just read "Excellent Motorcycle Road Next 21 Miles". I'd trailer my bike all day long across the country to enjoy roads like this one instead of straight boring interstate highways.

IMG_0316.JPG

Last edited:
Back