Thoughts on trailering

Since you have a workshop and know how to weld, you might consider making the ramp a couple of feet longer so the angle at the top won't be too steep. Unhitching the trailer would let it roll as you load the bike, unless you have wheel chocks for the trailer.
or put a length of 2x4 under the end of the ramp. This will lower the ramp angle but still make it easy to get the bike onto the ramp.

I recently bought a 10' trailer from Tractor Supply to pick up the wreck I bought, and want to use it to tow my low rider to the drag strip. Very nice trailer, and has a drop tail ramp. However, I know that my low rider will bottom out going on, or off. Trying to come up with ideas. Thinking if I had the safety chains the right length, and uncoupled the hitch, that when going up the ramp, the trailer would tilt up just enough to make it a straight shot, then when passing center of gravity, would come back down. What do you think?o_O:confused:;):)
You will get some nice tongue dent in your tailgate. But hey if you carry a block say 10 inches or like a cinder block you could put it under the tongue and jack the front if the trailer up and the rear of tbe truck some. It will decrease the angle of inclination and still be hooked to the truck. I've done this many times for my big mower.

Dave and I trailered to Spearfish strictly for time savings. Vacation time is limited, it would have been 5 days riding interstates each way, vs 24 or 25 hours each way driving continuously and switching drivers, it gave us almost 2 full weeks of riding vs 4 days, assuming a 2 week vacation, it made perfect sense.

I recently bought a 10' trailer from Tractor Supply to pick up the wreck I bought, and want to use it to tow my low rider to the drag strip. Very nice trailer, and has a drop tail ramp. However, I know that my low rider will bottom out going on, or off. Trying to come up with ideas. Thinking if I had the safety chains the right length, and uncoupled the hitch, that when going up the ramp, the trailer would tilt up just enough to make it a straight shot, then when passing center of gravity, would come back down. What do you think?o_O:confused:;):)
Might be more exciting when it goes over center than you expect even with the wheels chocked.

Rick

I have always kind of snickered under my breath at people who trailer their bikes, I never could quite understand the reason for why somebody would do that. Especially when I go to Reno which is about 200 miles away from my house and I see people with California plates trailering their bikes on the way to street vibrations.

However

My Indian is 11 months old with 10k on her already.
By the time I get home from the next RAA she’ll have nearly 20K on her.

Also I’m getting older and driving is less wear and tear on my old bones....

And less stressful since I’ll have my son with me...

So am I going to trailer to RAA next year? :thumbsdown:

Hell no! My bike is my only form a transportation for a reason.

However even if I wanted to trailer I couldn’t simply because I can’t afford to buy a trailer and something to haul it with.

So what are your thoughts on trailering ? Do you do it? Why or why not?

I'm 68y and ride 800+ mile days back to back. That being said my wife of 45y is disabled and still likes to ride short rides. We just came back from a 5000 mile journey from San Diego ca. to BC Canada and lots o side trips. Bike in back of truck pulling a 23' 6000 lb. trailer to camp in for 50 days. I was so happy to unload and do 1000 total side trips in different places. So some times their is a good reason to LOAD UP LOL.
l

Back