Thoughts on trailering

Discussion in 'BearClaw Corner' started by RKTNMYPKT, Oct 20, 2018.

1. RKTNMYPKT

RKTNMYPKTVillage Idiot

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2016 Indian RoadMaster
    I have always kind of snickered under my breath at people who trailer their bikes, I never could quite understand the reason for why somebody would do that. Especially when I go to Reno which is about 200 miles away from my house and I see people with California plates trailering their bikes on the way to street vibrations.

However

My Indian is 11 months old with 10k on her already.
    By the time I get home from the next RAA she’ll have nearly 20K on her.

Also I’m getting older and driving is less wear and tear on my old bones....

And less stressful since I’ll have my son with me...

So am I going to trailer to RAA next year? :thumbsdown:

Hell no! My bike is my only form a transportation for a reason.

However even if I wanted to trailer I couldn’t simply because I can’t afford to buy a trailer and something to haul it with.

So what are your thoughts on trailering ? Do you do it? Why or why not?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    JamiePT likes this.
  2. barbagris

barbagrisMad Scientist

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    On the verge of insanity : Madrid - Spain
    Ride:
    2009 R3-Standard - 1979 Guzzi V1000G5
    Tough one - I have never resorted to trailers (except when bust). But I am wondering about using the train for he 2100miles each way to Romania before commending a 2 week tour there. I make no bones here - AGE MATTERS.

3. rainman

rainmanSeabee can do

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    06 classic 2012 victory xr
    Only trailer my bike if it's broke down and won't go in it own power

4. Navigator

NavigatorNitrous

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2009 Rocket Touring
    Like you, I always rode to an event but as I have aged, I have no reservations or embarrassment about trailering. It must be a significant distance though. No way would I haul a bike 200 miles in nice weather to attend an event.

The last time I attended Daytona Bike week my daughter and I rode from Pensacola to Enterprise, AL/Ft Rucker to meet some military riders and a Gold Star mom and dad, and then rode on to Daytona the next day. As we got to within about 50 miles of Daytona, we could see the phonies pulling their truck/trailer rigs into rental lots, off loading and then riding to Daytona.

My daughter got her "I Rode to Bike Week" patch for her vest.

5. Jallen3.14

Jallen3.14.060 Over

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    05 Rocket III
    On the whole, I'd rather ride than trailer, but sometimes it's more fun to just slog through a long trailer ride to get to where the riding is, and spend more time there. It can also help if you've got a bunch of guys meeting up from different locations.

6. sonny

sonnyLiving Legend

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    rocket three x
    Weathers been kind of bad around here and the hours spent at work a bit ridiculous. Drove the car all week. Today knew i was getting home early (just got home) Guys at work were really glad to see me today. They Have learned that if i miss a few days riding my temperament goes south. Leaving out today one asked me "Are you riding in Monday?" Everyone started laughing. Completely understand why some folks trailer due to age, time restraints, so forth and so on. I ride. Half the fun is not the destination but the experiences getting there. I am really looking forward to this R.A.A. coming up and the idea of jumping on the bike and riding to North Carolina is something I really look forward to. Looking forward to meeting up with a lot of folks i have never met in person but at the same time enjoy the time alone riding down the highway. Without sounding like a drama queen i like the time spent riding solo long distance. Very lucky to commute two hours a day riding through the rural areas of Oklahoma and enjoying lite traffic and open spaces. City or town riding makes me nervous. So with that said I guess am not much of a trailer fan. If trailer is your thing go for it. Nether look down or up to you. I just ride.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

7. Ygransom

YgransomTurbocharged

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    08R3T
    I have given into hauling bike when we travel due to age (I'm 68 and wife 62), health issues (arthritic hips and bad knees) and time. We can do abiut 500 miles a day on bike, double or triple that in truck. I ride to close by events, but did truck the R3T to Michigan 2 years ago and louisiana last year.

8. mr hunt

mr huntLiving Legend

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2013 Roadster
    Every new R3 should come with a trailer :mad:

9. sonny

sonnyLiving Legend

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    rocket three x
    48,000 miles on a Rocket X since Oct 2015 no trailer required. Then again No. 74 was assembled on a Wednesday vice a Monday or Friday.:):):):):)o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. Claviger

ClavigerHP Junkie extraordinaire

Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
    If I owned a trailer and hauler I’d happily trailer to remote destinations. While touring is wonderful, and I love it. I’d much rather be fresh physically and mentally on arriving at the playground.

There’s also the ticket issue. When I get bored I haul ass to entertain myself, nothing bores me like the freeway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice