Ok,
Now I gotta ride that wing at work.
you've definitely got my curiosity up.
A ferrari?
LOL, but Ok. if you say so.
Just please don't say later,
I was just funnin ya.
I know you bought one and like it alot,
so they must have something going on besides comfort and reliability.
I'll sure try it out and see if I can see the ferrari in it;).
Hows the rad thing going, any news yet?
Thanks,
skip

There's a reason for it

Travelguy has a point. The Goldwing, being a flat opposed boxer six cylinder, carries almost all it's weight down by the center of gravity. The tank is nestled in under the seat and the transmission is also extremely low on the bike. The stuff up on top is mostly hollow or filled with electronics (of which there is plenty). All the rotational mass is very low also. This makes for a very well ballanced bike. I've seen wings with wide case savers balanced between the savers and the tires, sitting 'pretty as you please' at a 45 degree or more angle.
Now likening it to a Ferrari? I don't know about all that. For truly remarkable handling you have to get on a Super bike like the GSXRs, FZRs or CBRs. Even BMW has a new Super for 2011. The S1000RR (check out the September Motor-cyclist magazine, mean!). As far as tourers go the Goldwing and BMWs K1200LT are the kings of the canyons. They just don't look like motorcycles.:soapbox:My two cents!

Actually, (IMHO) they do look like motorcycles...just "fully dressed" motorcycles. The Rocket and the like are "naked bikes" and some are more underdressed than others.

I second what Travelguy says, the Gold Wing is very nimble despite it's bulk, the Rocket has the top end speed and torque edge for now...(we'll have to see what the 2011 is going to be like), but as I've said before it (the GW) will accelerate like you wouldn't believe considering it's size and because it's so quiet you don't realize it (that's how I got up to 131 mph without knowing it till I looked down at the speedo which does have some error in it...but you get the point).

As the Ferrari comparisons I wouldn't put the Rocket that low, in comparison, on the totem pole as it excels in other areas that the Gold Wing (for now) can't compete in (and probably doesn't care to).

Dennis
84 dtg Dubai
85 dtg Home

Back