Really?

As for a Rocket being faster than a CBR600 I have this to say, "Only on the straights!" At 596cc, 400 Lbs and 97 HP the CBR is one of the reasons that I'm looking at a rocket III. I just can't be happy with mediocre performance. After scraping pegs and knee pads at a 60 degree lean angle at about 1.3 Gs, a lumbering tourer just won't due.

That's why I can't ride a HD, Vulcan or Stratoliner. I want my bike to look like a motorcycle and so I discount the Goldwing, K1200LT and Vision. I rode one Rocket III classic and did not like the way it handled. I underestand that going to a 180 rear tire helped the Rocket III tourer to lose some of the cumbersome handing behaviors that have plagued riders of the classics and standards that like the twisties.

And yes, the exclusivity factor is pulling me in. I do want a bike that fits in everywhere and yet is unlike everything else. It doesn't hurt that I think the most beautiful bike ever produced was the Indian in-line 4. The Rocket definately takes that vibe into the 21st century.

So I'll be picking everyone's brain about this bike til I return home around April/May of 2010, Mmmmm, just in time for spring.:cool:

Understand you aren't really interested in tourers....but a "lumbering" tourer does not apply to the Gold Wing, I've had two before the Rocket and they are pretty nimble, fast and can handle "The Dragon" better than most bikes. One guy (Yellow Wolf) did 1,000 miles in 24 hours on the Dragon and he wasn't exactly doing "parade speed" maneuvering.

But good luck if/when you get the Rocket, I've got the Classic but it is no slouch either compared to the standard.

Dennis

104 dtg Dubai
105 dtg Home

You misunderstood me

Understand you aren't really interested in tourers....but a "lumbering" tourer does not apply to the Gold Wing,
Nor did I say that. I have every respect for the venerable Goldwing. NO ONE even comes close. BUT!!! What I said was that "I wanted my bike to look like a motorcycle" and so I discount the Goldwing etc etc. That is the only failing I find with the 'wing or the K1200LT. They just don't look like motorcycles to me. And what was Victory thinking with the Vision. Am I the only one that sees the tazmanian devil trying to eat the front tire when you view the Vision from the front?

So I didn't mean to dis your G'wing. I just want to ride a motorcycle. I'll buy a Goldwing when I'm 60 YOA or so. I'm sure I'll be ready for it then.

Est non aevum, est loginqutas!
Semper Veritas
Semper Fidelis

IF you do decide on a rocket.
you'll want the standard because of the pegs.
Me? I took my standard and made it more to my liking, you'll do the same.
Get whatever bike you really want.
as far as a great all around bike, you can't beat a rocket.
Its got enough of everything to satisify most in any dept.
Good luck in your search and come home safe,
I go on enough Patriot Guard Rides,
I don't want to go to yours,
(unless its a welcome home);)

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, xhdskip.
The only reason I was not already a patriot rider was because I was on the funeral honors team back home. I'm hoping to not have to do that duty here. I'll probably be retiring upon my return home and the local Patriot riders group has already contacted me about becoming a member.
I would like to thank you and all the other patriot guard riders for what you do for us. I have helped perform honors at over 100 military funerals. One was even attended by the Westborough baptist church. It gives one peace of mind and a sense of safety while standing at attention or folding the flag wearing one's blues that we have bikers to watch our backs and that a rock (or worse) will not be thrown into the cerimony. I cannot wait to get back and join my local group.
Again, heartfelt thanks.

tazshido

You're Welcome Taz.
You'll be welcomed into the PGR with open arms I'm sure.
The Rocket makes a magnificant beast to ride during "missions".
(plus its way cooler than a thousand look alike v-twins):D.

Ah yea, the westboro baptist church...
Nice bunch of cultists and misguided souls who deserve every right afforded them under the constitution to protest in a peaceful assembly the services of those who fought for and died for their rights.
*******S

Just curious, where do you live in the US? On one of the other posts (and this one as well) someone mentioned trying to find a good dealer in your area and checking them out. I would add see if the have the R3 Tourer on hand for a test ride.

On one hand you have mentioned that you like to scrape pegs and want performance...but also want relialibility. But you said you rode the R3 Standard and didn 't really take to it too well. Then you followed that with you were hoping that the R3T with it's 180 rear tire may get you better handling. Myself, I'm not too sure about that it is, after all, a cruiser, albiet at 2300 cc...a big one. It's not designed to be a "canyon dancer" so to speak. Even though it's got less HP than the Standard or Classic it is fast enough and the torque is better than those two.

My recommendation is that, like it was previously suggested, find, hopefully, a good dealer close to where you live and ride the R3T. That is one of the advantages (having worked at a good Triumph dealership prior to my current work in Afghanistan) of shopping Triumph as they usually do have bikes to try out to see if you like them (most of the Yamaha dealers I have dealt with...in fact all Japanese makes with the exception of one in Charleston, SC) usually do not have bikes available to test ride.

You are the one the bike has got to impress, doesn't matter what we say so much...all we can offer are opinions (and you know how those can be) and our own personal experiences with our riding of the R3.

As you said, Yamaha makes good bikes....I've owned a lot of them and never had any "major" problems that would keep me off of them for any lenght of time, but again you have to be happy with your choice.

Unfortunately, it looks like you have to wait a long time to get to do it. It's going to be a long (but where you are...hot) winter.

Good luck,

Dennis

94 dtg Dubai
95 dtg Home

>>>> wait'n on the honda evo
i will say my wing is sooooooo much more flickable than the r3
hmmmm maybe time to check out a valkyrie while they tool up for the evo

Sam,
you're kiddin right?
A wing more nimble than a Rocket.
Never rode a wing but I just can't imagine it.
they just look so cumbersome with all that fiberglass and crap on em.
In my minds eye its like comparing a 69 GTO to a 69 trash truck,
and saying the trash truck handles better.
I'm sorry bro, I ain't dissin your ride,
I just can't imagine it handleing better that the Rock.
Since you say so,
I guess it does,
but I sure can't imagine it.
Theres a guy at work got a fully dressed out gold wing,
never would let him ride the Rocket before,
but now I think I'm gonna swap for a short ride to test this out.

Back