Terry S

Standard Bore
Ride
2007 rocket 3 classic
Gidday everyone, I ride a 2007 Rocket 3 Classic that i've had since new. Its got over 90000 klm on it, mostly open road klms as I prefer riding that. For around town riding I have a Vespa 300 scooter that is a perfect town bike. After the last two years servicing my Rocket hasn't been running right. I have taken it each time to a different Triumph dealer but with no luck. After starting it runs perfectly for 2.5 minutes and then loses revs and runs rich and then stops. If I rev it it's ok but once I begin riding it loses it's way and begins to run rich again. Has anyone else come across this? Thanks

Sounds to me like you have a worn area on your primary TPS. And the signal to the ecu is bouncing around or inconsistent. Since its is a 07 I would akso be checking or just replace the vacuum lines and vacuum plug caps. And recrimp every female spade connectors on the coil low tension leads. They get loose and can cause some erratic signals. When you change the primary TPS make sure you do a full ISCV reset. Also because of its age I would pull and clean the magnetic crank trigger pick up. You will lose a couple spoons of oil when do that so have a rag under it when you do. It would hurt to check the throttle body balance either. If they're way off definetly look for vacuum leaks. Other then that it sounds like the bike is treating you well. Enjoy!!!

Sounds to me like you have a worn area on your primary TPS. And the signal to the ecu is bouncing around or inconsistent. Since its is a 07 I would akso be checking or just replace the vacuum lines and vacuum plug caps. And recrimp every female spade connectors on the coil low tension leads. They get loose and can cause some erratic signals. When you change the primary TPS make sure you do a full ISCV reset. Also because of its age I would pull and clean the magnetic crank trigger pick up. You will lose a couple spoons of oil when do that so have a rag under it when you do. It would hurt to check the throttle body balance either. If they're way off definetly look for vacuum leaks. Other then that it sounds like the bike is treating you well. Enjoy!!!
Thanks very much for that, Once we come out of lock down and can get parts, I will now have a direction to go in. Thanks again

You could always try ordering online
My TPS I replaced cost around $274 a few years back. That was here in town.

Welcome from exotic Idaho. The guys will lead you to the right solution. It seams so many times the guys on here know more about our beloved Rockets than the dealers do. I remember when when the 2nd Triumph dealer took over the brand. They called me for about 2 years or so for advice on repairing Rocket problems in their shop. I put my trust in the many knowledgeable folks who willing share their experiences and insight. We would be lost without them.

Thanks to all who share.

Back