I have been looking at pictures but kind of hard to figure out the differences.. might have to visit a dealer with both types in showroom to compare.. I am thinking of customizing mine and would like a teardrop tank.. already have fiberglass small front fender and short rear fender.
My guess would be some modification on the front attachment might be needed but the back looks similar. Anyhow would have to also modify the top to cover up where the bracket for the gauges sits.. so modifications are already needed..

Anythings possible if you've got the skills or the cash to pay for those skills.

Hmm, I know the rear subframe is entirely different, not sure about the up-front part. The claw is also different, and of course instrumentation, if you take the instrument package off the Touring tank there's an indentation underneath there as well as mounts for the instrument itself that would look quite unsightly without the instrument package. So even assuming it fits the frame from underneath you'd be left with issues. The instrument cluster is probably not a straight retrofit to the Classic, and the Touring electronics differ somewhat also (for instance, we get turn signal cancellation that the Classics don't). Etc.

So I don't think it would be a simple swap.

If the tank will fit with minor modification and match the intakes on the left side then I was thinking of dealing with the indent in similar ways as some of the Harleys who have console without any instrumentation.. like the Breakout

IMG_0501.JPG Late respons on this topic. I did it. I transformed a touring into a classic with personal touch. The other way around is also possible. I only had to bend the forward attachment part a little bit to make i fit. Backside's the same.
The electric thing is not my specialty. I use the Original big speedometer in my own-made dashboard. When you buy a touring tank and speedo i,m not sure wether its simple or difficult to attach on classic wiring. If you succeed en need the chrome console....i still got one in pretty good shape IMG_5255.JPG .

Hi Kievit.. Thanks for this info.. good to know that tank attachments are almost the same.
I have already bought a Touring Tank. I found one with pump and all the accessories.
I havent started the fitting yet but at the moment am planning to remove the attachments for the console and fill up the indent on top of the tank and then just keep the original speedo and Rev as is.. I will post some pics when start on this project..

Tankfitting is no problem at all. There's one more difference i forgot to mention. The touringtank comes with a "fuelfloating and measuring" system. I welded this thing into my "classictank" and after some simple ajustments it works perfect in combination with my touring speedometer. Don't know if it also does its work the other way around to warn you when fuel runs low.
Hope to see your pictures soon. I like creative solutions!

Back