Tank Bag with Triumph Tank Leather

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
When I tour I like to carry a magnetic tank bag but they can blemish the tanks clear coat, even those with the softer undersides. I learned this the hard way with two different bags. I recently ordered a new tank leather so that I can carry my new Cortech bag without fear of damaging the finish on the tank. I received it today, just mounted it and found that the the leather and the tank bag fit perfectly together. The bag originally had a hard rubber wrapped carry handle at the front that I finally cut off after it bounced on the tank, damaging the clear coat. It is a bad design. If it were still there it would rest on the tank leather pocket.

As can be seen in the picture, the bag fits snugly between the pocket and the gauges. It is held solidly in place. It has a lanyard that attaches to the gauge bracket so when I fill the tank, I just drop the bag to the side to clear the fuel tank door. The gauges are unobstructed and I can again keep select accessories like camera, gloves, cigars, tire gauge, maps etc., within reach.

The Cortech bag retails for about $65-70. I can't recall exactly.

On the tank leather, when I had one previously, it tended to move around because the provided mounting laces stretched. This time I tied it in with non stretch, double braided wax laces and it doesn't move a bit. One can get them in any shoe store.

i ordered the tank leather because i have a nice round mark where the magnet contacted the tank... funny thing is that i use the bag on my klr also and it does not mark it up.

motorat said:
i ordered the tank leather because i have a nice round mark where the magnet contacted the tank... funny thing is that i use the bag on my klr also and it does not mark it up.

I asked the guy who buffed the marks out if Triumph just had substandard clearcoat and he said no, he's had to do the same on many other makes.

I'm looking for a good KLR. I've got a set of tank panniers for it and Givi saddlebags....

i have the happy trails aluminum panniers...they are the perfect size to hold a 18pack. the klr is my daily comuter as it gets 56mpg and my commute is over a twisty bumpy 2 lane road with more deer than cars.

motorat said:
i have the happy trails aluminum panniers...they are the perfect size to hold a 18pack. the klr is my daily comuter as it gets 56mpg and my commute is over a twisty bumpy 2 lane road with more deer than cars.

When I attended the Chief Joseph BMW at John Day Oregon in 2006 there was a guy camped next to us on a well used KLR with Happy Trails panniers. It turned out his father in law owned that company and had a display there. It was the first time I had really looked at a KLR and the first I'd heard of Happy Trails. Since then I have really gotten to like the KLR and have looked at new ones. If I got one I'd also install the HTs but I happen to have a new set of Givi bags in my attic, ergo, they are the ones.

We see quite a few KLRs around here, many ridden as commuters on the ferries to Seattle.

Back