You can't eat your bike if it dies in the desert!.
...you can if its dessert....not desert...:sneaky:
a82e181cc878ff33f0db12c26261a064.jpg

An old uncle of mine told me once "If you can't afford to pay cash for it then you can't afford it!"....he was talking vehicles..
I took that onboard and can see the sense in it....not to say i havn't financed a couple of vehicles since but add up the xtra money it costs you to actually pay that vehicle off and it will scare the shyte out of you!.

Yes but..... the big but.... What if you live off your investments and they are making you money. You then finance a new vehicle with zero down and zero interest (or close to it). That $30k, $40K or $50k chunk you might have pulled from your investments to pay for said vehicle, could have been making you quite a bit of cash. Done properly, financing can actually save you on a vehicle purchase!!!

Now if the dealer is offering a big cash saving for a cash purchase, that might be different.... do the math first.

I paid cash for the last 2 bikes I bought. With the Rocket, if I remember correctly, it was 3.99% financing through Triumph for the full price of the bike. If I paid cash, I received a $4500 price reduction along with quite a few other perks. Went for the cash deal.... :)

Last edited:
Because this was the base for the bubble that blow up in 2008?

But this is - as written - just my personal behavior.

The cause of the 2008 crisis was banks making too many risky investments, including sub prime mortgage loans. Not quite the same as getting a low rate on a car or motorcycle loan. The repeal of the Glass-Steagall act allowed financial institutions to underwrite their own investments, which led up to all the poor investment in high risk mortgages. The economy slowed, resulting a falling home prices and homeowners defaulting on their high risk sub-prime mortgages.

All I'm saying, is each of us has to do the math based on our own personal finances. For me, my total interest on the life of the loan was just under $300, which is chicken scratch. I can easily make 3 to 4 times that on the same amount of cash over the life of the loan, plus I keep my cash available

Last edited:
Back