Stock shocks vs. Progressive 440 HD

doubledown11

.020 Over
Ok, I know everybody loves the 440s. I am a big fat bastard, 6'3" and 350lbs. There is no way I'd be doing myself a favor on the standard 440s. I've seen a couple of comments on how the 440 HD felt no different than stock. Is that the general concensus? I'm ready to order some but dont want to blow $400 and not feel an improvement.

Ok, I know everybody loves the 440s. I am a big fat bastard, 6'3" and 350lbs. There is no way I'd be doing myself a favor on the standard 440s. I've seen a couple of comments on how the 440 HD felt no different than stock. Is that the general concensus? I'm ready to order some but dont want to blow $400 and not feel an improvement.

Call progressive technical support. 714.523.8700 - they know the scoop.

My Opinion

I'm your height and 50 lbs heavier. I switched to the 440's but got HD and 13" length. They preloaded them too much and it bottomed out too easily. Had them adjust one complete turn and now they are close to being right. Probably one more complete turn should do it.

I probably could have gotten by with the OEM shocks from Triumph. The only difference I've noticed is when I really get on it....... the 440's seem to "Hunker Down" a bit more and really put the bite in the rear tire. With the OEM's, I'd get a little wheel spin. Ride wise they seem to be about the same. Though I like them, if you're not going to be leaving the stoplight at Warp 7, probably you'll get by fine with the stocks.

Just my opinion.

I went with standard 440's in 12" vs the standard 12.5". With two up (I'm 205, the wife 130) we would bottom out when going over a curb. I swapped out to HD springs, no more bottoming out but I don't think that they are much different than stocks. Now with one up on the standard 440's they were very nice, I could actually feel the swing arm moving.

Should I be looking at the Hagon Nitro instead? Sounds like you order them fully customized. From what I can find the price difference is $388 for the 440 HDs and $509 for the Nitros. Would it be worth it in my situation?

The wife and I combined equal your weight plus 10 or 15#. I have OEM shocks. When I'm solo I still have great responsiveness even at the same middle preload setting.

OEM & Progressive life span?

The wife and I combined equal your weight plus 10 or 15#. I have OEM shocks. When I'm solo I still have great responsiveness even at the same middle preload setting.

I'm wondering what kind of life people are getting from the OEM and Progressive shocks.

Also, how much are the OEMs ?

thanks

Driud:

Your skinny little ass should never wear out any shock.:D Honestly, I've never seen a 'worn out' motorcycle shock. I've seen them break out an eye or leak due to a big pothole that got the tire and rim too but never one wear out and leak like car shocks do.

To me there is not much difference between the stock and the progressives with HD springs. Now the standard springs are a different story.

shock life

Driud:

Your skinny little ass should never wear out any shock.:D Honestly, I've never seen a 'worn out' motorcycle shock. I've seen them break out an eye or leak due to a big pothole that got the tire and rim too but never one wear out and leak like car shocks do.

point taken ... except for the skinny little ass - :))

I guess I interpreted the conversation wrongly ... that people were replacing shocks because the stocks were not holding up all that well.
I've been getting 80K miles out of my car tires for years and years but 9K from the Metz rear so I thought, maybe, there was something particular to MC suspensions that took more abuse & wear.

Guess I'll just adjust them to load & style (twisties or slabs) and keep on trucking.

thanks ...

Back