Speedometer Calibration

Crazy Canuck

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT, 2009 VStar-Bobber Build
I have confirmed that the speedometer on my bike (R3 GT) is approximately 10% higher than the actual speed/distance and as such my Odometer will be 10% high.
Does anyone know of a way to calibrate the speedometer on these bikes yet?

Thanks

There is no reason why ODO and the speedo needle will both be out. Not in a digital system. And I'll bet the ODO is actually close to exact.
The 2300 are the same - Speedo needle is optimistic, but the ODO is spot on. 3-5% out speedo needle is pretty much standard on all EU approved vehicles. Bikes, cars, tractors.....

If the electronic "slow down" signs they put up around schools etc are anything to go by, my R3R is jus a km/h or so off (sign said 48 km/h and bike was just above 50.)

There is no reason why ODO and the speedo needle will both be out. Not in a digital system. And I'll bet the ODO is actually close to exact.
The 2300 are the same - Speedo needle is optimistic, but the ODO is spot on. 3-5% out speedo needle is pretty much standard on all EU approved vehicles. Bikes, cars, tractors.....
I have a Garmin Zuno XT installed on my GT and it reads approximately 8km/hr lower than the GT Speedometer @ 100km/hr. I put the Garmin in my car and set the cruise control to 100km/hr and the Garmin reads the exact same as the car (therefore it is the GT that is off). I assume that the Odometer reading is determined by a simple equation of speed (Km/hr) x time and as such the Odometer reading will be higher than it should by the same 8% that the speedometer is.

I am not an expert by any means so if my logic here is flawed please correct me.

Thank you.

AFAIK the ODO use the ABS sensor. Maybe the speedo too?

I am not an expert by any means so if my logic here is flawed please correct me.
You need to check it naturally - BUT under EU law the ODO CANNOT be off by much - this for all sorts of reasons.

The speedo however simply may not EVER read slower than reality. It is common therefore to find a speedo that reads 5% optimistic (mathematically this is really easy) whilst the distance travelled is spot on or very very close. this was VERY MUCH the case on the 2300cc R3. It is MUCH harder to do ODO/SPEED for bikes as the rolling radius of the tyre is NOT fixed. When you are banked over the radius of a bike tyre is less than upright. The simple solution is ignore the bike speedo if it really worries you.

Banking ALSO screws up the GPS sensors - pretty much all of them have to remain horizontally stable.

The GPS on ALL SatNavs is poor compared to high res GPS sensors. Do NOT believe all you read. I have seen them be out by 50metres on flat ground and worse still in the hills. If you want to do a real GPS compare get a road-map independent sensor - at least 20Hz with 3D speed correction based off 7-8 satellites. The sort the racing lads use for accurate lap analysis. usually 1-2metre resolution. I have seen 250cm (10") resolution but at a fecking huge price.

I have confirmed that the speedometer on my bike (R3 GT) is approximately 10% higher than the actual speed/distance...

I noticed a similar situation on my GT with the Google Maps app speed significantly less vs speedometer. App speed reading has always been about right in my motor vehicles. Not sure if translates into odometer, but would seem logical. No reason it should be that far off.

Can we get back to the original question? Is there a way to calibrate speedo?

My calibration is as follows:
I look at the speed limit on the road, let say 70 mph, I had 10%, then I am cruising at 77 mph read on the R3 speedometer.
And I am fine in any situation. I have already tested win front of speed camera... without any fine.

My calibration is as follows:
I look at the speed limit on the road, let say 70 mph, I had 10%, then I am cruising at 77 mph read on the R3 speedometer.
And I am fine in any situation. I have already tested win front of speed camera... without any fine.
As do i. I know if i drive at current speed limit + 5 on the speedo i'm good.

Back