technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
My Rocket 3 GT Speedometer is out! When doing 120kph (via GPS and phone) my R3GT speedometer reads 128kph. An 8kph delta, that's 5mph.

I called the dealer and the service person said "Yeah they do it like that on purpose!" To which I asked "Can I get it fixed?" to which he replied "Nope, can't do anything about it!" He also didn't know if it was set to be 8kph all the time or if it was a percentage of speed but he did say the speed will always show faster. HOWEVER, he did say that "Your odometer is bang on because they (the industry) got sued for eating peoples warranty away sooner than it should have"

1 - Is this true? if so, sh!t!
2 - If not, can it be fixed? By me or by service?

I have to believe it is true for now for the 2.5L bikes. Let us hope someone cracks the code to get into the ECU to make adjustments like we do on our 2.3L bike with TuneECU.

The 2.3L bikes it is true. The speedo runs much faster than true speed. My dyno tuner took 9% out of my speedo to calibrate it to true speed. The 2.3L bikes can be adjusted with TuneECU.

It’s true of all road vehicles at least those governed by European law which states that:
speedometers must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed, or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount of more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h.

Well I guess that's that then!

Must admit I used the GPS on the Roadster because it was digital, now that I have a digital speedo and it's out by this much, it's back to the GPS!!

Probably set the display to analog on the R3GT just so I don't have competing info coming in at the same time!

Thanks Captains for the quick response.

I've often read that speedo's are set to indicate higher than real speed on purpose, but my 2010 Roadster is spot on with my GPS up to at least 70MPH, never checked above that.
Another oddity I've had is that both my '99 and '02 Victorys read low on speed and mileage. Can't remember now if it was 2 or 4 percent. Wonder how they got away with that?

When I had my Roadster tuned on the Dyno I also had the Speedo corrected so she read true, with the new one I guess I’ll just accept it as is at least until the ECU is tuneable.

My cars all read a little fast. Porsche 2 mph fast, Explorer 2 mph fast, Civic 1 mph fast. I find it strange they all do it across the mph range. Doesn't change as I go faster.

Back