Speedo trouble on Touring Model

cktire

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III Standard
I have a 2008 R3 Touring model that I have had problems with the speedo. I have combed this site and seen others have had the same problem that I'm experiencing but I can't seem to find a solution.
I had my bike parked outside during a heavy rain storm. My speedo gauge filled up with water. I dried it out but the neutral light quit working. I tried to get the panel open as I could see the bad light but couldn't get to it. In the process I ruined the whole darn thing.
Went to Ebay and bought a a used speedo but the part number was wrong and it was for an ABS model. I didn't realize this until installed. The speedo, odometer, fuel gauge and turn signal canceling switch did not work. I returned the speedo and bought another correct used speedo. Installed it but still have the four functions not working. I've cleaned all the electrical connections. Triumph insists it's a plug and play part.
I guess my next step is to take it in to a dealer but they are all backed up for weeks.
Any suggestions would be welcomed. Willing to pay a tech for instructions.
Carl

Find someone close to you with a working speedometer swap them and see what happens.
Good suggestion, I wish I had that option available. But since the functions were not there with the ABS speedo also I kinda think it's the bike. Pinwheel has a video of it working, so who knows.
Thank you,

Read this thread
Speedometer and Ecm
Part # is T1290053
Thanks John,
I read that tread about the Fall Detection Switch fixing the problem. Pinwheel had a used one for $5.95 so I just went ahead and bought it. Not much to lose by trying. I did however check BikeBandit and they show a different part number. #T2502405. Pinwheel doesn't list the part number but it certainly looks the same, they show it coming off a Rocket Touring. I saw it and wanted to grab it, little to lose since I have two Rockets and one might go bad some day.
Many thanks,

Good suggestion, I wish I had that option available. But since the functions were not there with the ABS speedo also I kinda think it's the bike. Pinwheel has a video of it working, so who knows.
Thank you,
The speedo from a post 2010 bike WILL NOT WORK on a pre 2009 bike - EVER. Read here An R+D Thread - Different instruments.

The speedo from a post 2010 bike WILL NOT WORK on a pre 2009 bike - EVER. Read here An R+D Thread - Different instruments.
Thank you for that information. I really have no desire to use an aftermarket setup. I'll check into the model year that my used speedo came off of. As I understand it the part number is the same for all non ABS models so, even if I got a new one it might not work. Frustrating, it should not be this hard!

Show us what you're trying to fit and we can identify it - if it is from a R3 Touring - it wont work on a "Standard" - Do you mean "Tourer"?

Back