Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

Well here we are, this motor is getting rebuilt soon and I’m getting ready to have a second rocket motor....

Does anyone know if anyone has knife edged and lightened a rocket crankshaft? If so, any feedback, I couldn’t find anything on it.

Also, anyone heard of a stroked R3 motor?

Well here we are, this motor is getting rebuilt soon and I’m getting ready to have a second rocket motor....

Does anyone know if anyone has knife edged and lightened a rocket crankshaft? If so, any feedback, I couldn’t find anything on it.

Im sure this occured to you, but Carpenter de-stroked for the Streamliner, perhaps they could offer some info?

You want MORE torque??? :eek: :rolleyes:

Only heard of destroked, Carpenter's Castrol Rocket motors. Not sure what technical constraints there would be to stroking, from what I remember from discussions here, the consensus was there wasn't enough meat to overbore these motors.

Not sure what you mean by knife edged a crank shaft? Unless your refurring to cave man static balancing ? There have been a few guys who inadvertently lightened the crank shaft

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Not sure what you mean by knife edged a crank shaft? Unless your refurring to cave man static balancing ? There have been a few guys who inadvertently lightened the crank shaft

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg
I remember the old Harley guys doing that back in the late 70s (they were probably doing it way before too). It not only lightens up the crank for faster turning, but the sharper leading edge caused less drag through the oil for faster spin up also.
knifeedgedcrank.jpg

I remember the old Harley guys doing that back in the late 70s (they were probably doing it way before too). It not only lightens up the crank for faster turning, but the sharper leading edge caused less drag through the oil for faster spin up also.
knifeedgedcrank.jpg
Hmm glad my whole sump is not full of oil as I would have problems . The rocket does use a windage tray though.

Back