Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

Personal opinion, trying to add a 6th gear is worthless, as every thing else would have to be decreased in size to make room. If you look closer, even changing the ratio of fifth will present problems on the output shaft. What I would do (so you did not have to redesign the whole engine case) is look at flopping the tooth ratio between the two helical gears. It might be doable but the ratio change will affect all gears. Because it's a set of helical gears you will have more tooth elements to play with yet keep the strength thanks to the helical mesh. Might even get away with changing the modal pitch of the teeth. Diametral pitch for us non metric fellers. It would be well served if everyone would see the main thing you can not change without designing a new motor is center-to-center distance of the shaft in the engine block. Once you research that and understand a little thing like gear design theory, you will just cease thinking you can just add another couple gears plus a different shift drum for more shift forks and all the new detent wheel and associated parts.
i would love a 6th gear no question but in addition to above would add probably a host of unintended consequences.. claviger- i admire your tenacity and ocd'ness

I'm pretty sure I can't help here, but I've been encountering missing parts during my camshaft project, and just sadly is consistent with all bikes on which I've worked where a dealer tech touched it beforehand. Almost as universal as the bear $hits in the woods and the Pope is Catholic, if a dealer tech presumes that a part will be out of sight when the bike is buttoned up, parts *will* be left out.

...I never knew the Pope was catholic...that’s good to know...great forum this !

Progress always comes from guys like him that aren't smart enough to know it can't be done, so they just do it.;)

That's an interesting statement Tripps.
When I started this Business I was "encouraged" to do the polishing prior to chrome plating myself.
Not knowing what I was doing, or to what standard I was to polish to, I simply did it to what I thought was "proper"

It turns out that because no one told me "that's good enough" I did what I thought was right, ended up that I'd set for myself a very high standard.
People globally have said that my Exhaust systems have the best chrome they have ever seen.
Well it's not the chrome plating, it's the preparation.

Also it's not about making the pipe shiny (sp) it's about making it smooth, and putting shape into the pipe (straights flowing/blending into corners, corners flowing/blending into straights. Just like riding a M/C)
See how the light travels along the pipe, and how it transists (right word?) from one bend to the next then into the straights.

D.JPG

This is how I ride my Bike, I don't necessarily go fast, I just make smooth lines out of it all ...... and don't slow down for corners.

upload_2018-7-17_9-14-49.png

Last edited:
When I started this Business I was "encouraged" to do the polishing prior to chrome plating myself.
Not knowing what I was doing, or to what standard I was to polish to, I simply did it to what I thought was "proper"

It turns out that because no one told me "that's good enough" I did what I thought was right, ended up that I'd set for myself a very high standard.
People globally have said that my Exhaust systems have the best chrome they have ever seen.

Also it's not about making the pipe shiny (sp) it's about making it smooth, and putting shape into the pipe (straights flowing/blending into corners, corners flowing/blending into straights. Just like riding a M/C)
See how the light travels along the pipe, and how it transists (right word?) from one bend to the next then into the straights.

D.JPG

This is how I ride my Bike, I don't necessarily go fast, I just make smooth lines out of it all ...... and don't slow down for corners.

Whatever you do, dont start doing them "right"! Beautiful work, and yes I notice the smooth transitions.

The preparation statement is true for everything....even life itself!

an

D.JPG

And now I want one...

Back