Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

@Claviger I hate to rain on your parade, but owning the same motor as you I know the best economy cruising is a steady speed of 90 mph (37.5 mpg). If you added the 6th gear (not sure on the fancy math), it would raise the optimum cruising speed to about 110 mph. I sure hope the Germans have extended the Autobahn to pass close to your house. :whitstling:

Indeed, optimal fuel efficiency does come in at quite a big higher speed than previously haha.

I just don't understand this fixation about a sixth gear.
Warpo's monster, the Falcon, never even needed fifth gear!

I just don't understand this fixation about a sixth gear.
Warpo's monster, the Falcon, never even needed fifth gear!
NEED and WANT are two very different things.
One of the things I believe, is that many perceive some of the vibration and finger-tingle as high revs. I can now say - it is not the revs.

NEED and WANT are two very different things.
One of the things I believe, is that many perceive some of the vibration and finger-tingle as high revs. I can now say - it is not the revs.

If you read about the early days of Rocket design, focus groups wanted a little vibration left in the engine. If vibration is the issue, maybe someone should be looking at the balance on the engine. May be as simple as drilling a couple holes or adding some weight to the counter balance shaft. I know on the old shovel head Harley's you couldn't get rid of the vibration, but you could have it shifted so the bike shook more front to back, rather than up and down, which is perceived less by the human senses. The Brits knew this. If you've ever seen a Norton idling, the from wheel would shake in a front to back motion. My Honda Valkyrie doesn't vibrate at all, and is geared lower than my Rocket, yet it doesn't seem as "busy" at highway speed.

If you read about the early days of Rocket design, focus groups wanted a little vibration left in the engine. If vibration is the issue, maybe someone should be looking at the balance on the engine. May be as simple as drilling a couple holes or adding some weight to the counter balance shaft. I know on the old shovel head Harley's you couldn't get rid of the vibration, but you could have it shifted so the bike shook more front to back, rather than up and down, which is perceived less by the human senses. The Brits knew this. If you've ever seen a Norton idling, the from wheel would shake in a front to back motion. My Honda Valkyrie doesn't vibrate at all, and is geared lower than my Rocket, yet it doesn't seem as "busy" at highway speed.

Exactly how I'd describe it, the rpms are not that high, but it somehow seems busy

Back