SOLVED: Intermittent not starting, no fuel pump prime, but I hear relay click

I'll have to look up the VIN but that wiring diagram is most useful thanks. So relay 4 would be the fuel pump relay? This one wasn't energising. I'll try swapping them around. Great tip.

now the roadster may be different but on mine i have #1 as the fuel pump.
the diagram might be of use if it had the key to the circuit

I was following the key from the Roadster service manual supplement. Seems to tie in with the posted wiring diagram. The black and white wiring diagram in the supplement was confusing me earlier as some of the colour codes were wrong. They seem to match this diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180510-231256.png
    Screenshot_20180510-231256.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 21
@TURBO200R4 You're right, 'relay 1' towards the front of bike on left hand side is item 23 on the schematic, the fuel pump relay.

The key that I have does not list item 68. I think 'relay 3' is that extra item 68 on the schematic and it switches headlights following the diagram.

So that gives me towards the front on the left of the bike:
'Relay 1' - (23) Fuel Pump Relay
'Relay 2' - (54) Engine Management System Relay (EMS)
'Relay 3' - (68) Headlight Relay
'Relay 4' - (21) Cooling Fan Relay

Does that sounds right to people, and does anyone have Key to Schematic for this VIN of Roadster?

how did u find out which was headlight and which was cooling relay?
if it is going to be a while before u get the new relays why don't u switch #1 and #3 to see if it it will start and run:)

So that gives me towards the front on the left of the bike:
'Relay 1' - (23) Fuel Pump Relay
'Relay 2' - (54) Engine Management System Relay (EMS)
'Relay 3' - (68) Headlight Relay
'Relay 4' - (21) Cooling Fan Relay

That is the correct relay layout.

My understanding from your posts;

The headlight and EMS relays are working ok as they come on when you turn on ignition, and the EMS one will stay on for a minute after you switch off bike.
However the fuel pump relay is not kicking in when it should, it is a bit hit & miss.

Have you swapped relays #1 & #3 around yet?

If the fuel pump relay (#1) is dodgy then your headlights will be hit & miss after you swap #1 & #3 around, but your fuel pump will prime upon ignition on reliably.

Relay 4 could also be used for a test as it won't be needed until the engine is good & hot (cooling fan).

But it sounds like you have 2 problems. Re the power to the speedo - might be a cold-worked broken wire in around the headstock LHS?

@TURBO200R4 I checked the wire colours. The cooling fan relay matches the older schematic. The Relay that is not on the older schematic and key has two larger blue (u) wires and goes to the headlight switch, so I assumed it was the headlight relay.

@R-III-R Turbo

Yeah that is what I is thinkin too. That I've got two separate faults. The speedo has been getting progressively worse (longer periods of not working) now totally not working; and the not priming fuel pump / not starting issue which hopefully will show relay issue. When I'm back home I'll have a go swapping the relays around.

and the not priming fuel pump / not starting issue which hopefully will show relay issue.

i wonder did you upset the alarm blanking socket under the tank when changing the cam cover gasket. pulled a wire out on the jumper loops or something.

that'd stop your fuel pump and starter relay iirc, another captain did it last week

I saw that thread and expressly checked. The plug is still there. If I disconnect the plug then I get absolutely nothing when I turn the key. With the plug in, I get the issues as mentioned. Good shout tho.

Back