SOLVED: Intermittent not starting, no fuel pump prime, but I hear relay click

Martin-Brighton-uk

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Roadster in HOK Burgundy Candy
Got weird things goings on with a 2011 Roadster. First of all I have had intermittent speedo dead for a while, where it will stay not working for sometime, then spring into life. However it is now permanently not working, no sweep when you power it up, no odo, but you can see the backlight flickering few times a second like it is trying to power up. Now it is not working at all, I get an intermittent issue where the bike will not start. When I turn the key, I see the tacho sweep and I hear a relay click (it's the 3rd from the front relay on the left hand side with two thicker blue wires in the connector that have 12v on them to ground), but the fuel pump does not prime nor the bike start.

I've been through all the connectors including the ECU and cleaned them with contact cleaner, still no use.

But... I leave the bike for 10 minutes or so, then when I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump prime and bike starts. Then intermittently it then won't prime the pump nor start again. Leave it for sometime and it starts! I suspected battery voltage, but it's a new battery, so when it is playing up, I jump start it from the SUV but still get same issue, so not battery voltage.

I can seem to make it fail too, if I turn the key, let pump prime, then repeat that say 6 or seven times, it stops working.

Ideas anyone?

Was that model year still plagued with ignition switch failures? Just for ****s and giggles, try turning the bars back and forth to see if it influences the behavior.

if relays are out of their bracket and hanging upside down then they probably have gotten water in them and rusted up.
i think the roadster when powered up should work at least two of the relays (might be able to hear and should be able to feel them click)
i am thinking that u might have a problem with relays.
of coarse the best way of checking is with a volt meter to make sure u have the correct voltage at battery then at fuses (with ign on) then at the relays.
now i have taken about 5 phone calls since i started to type so some one might have given u good advice already. hth herman

Search around here for stuff like "relays" "fuel pump" etc. etc. I'm too tired to look it up for you, but I do believe one of those relays is for the fuel pump. If it ain't runnin, the bike won't run. A test light, voltmeter and wiring diagram would be required.

Thanks Herman and Grey Wolf.

I'm wondering if there is any link to the Speedo failure/not working, as in would a failed Speedo cause the fuel pump to not prime and bike not start intermittently or would faulty key ignition switch cause Speedo to fail?

There are two relays that engage when turned on at ignition. I'll send a photo of the relays .

when the speedo fails it is usually because of a bad speedo
however if u r down on voltage then it could also fail along with the relays ect.
rephrase i do not think that u have a speedo causing your probs.
if u have a dealer close by then i would say buy 2 engine management relays and replace the 2 relays.
i am fairly sure that the 5 terminal relay(engine management) can replace the four terminal.
if u r to far away then try an auto parts store u need a 12VOLT with a diode 5 terminal.

I'll get new relays. There is a trumpet dealer local to me. So in the photo, if we number the relays 1-4 from the left, relays 2+4 energise. Interestingly relay 2 stays energised after turning the ignition off.

To confirm symptoms:
When Ignition key set to on,
Tachometer Sweeps
Relay 3 energises and stays energised while ignition on
Relay 2 energises and stays energised when key turned back off?
No fuel pump priming
No engine turnover when start button pressed
Speedo dead (but has been for a while before the starting problem)

One thing I am not sure about is if the starting problem was there before I replaced the valve cover gasket last week (which would make me think connectors disturbed)

Attachments

• IMG_20180510_183010332.jpg
    IMG_20180510_183010332.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 21
well i am working with an older model book
i think what u have is starting from left is #1 fuel pump relay #2 engine management #3 cooling fan
my books does not show #4 but i think it controls headlights.
it seems most likely that the #1 fuel pump relay is not working or the engine management relay is not working like it should.
try taking #3 relay and trading it with #1

ah i see you have the newer Roadster harness. your VIN is probably in the 482858 to 500140 bracket?

Back