A little water going through the air intake won't hurt the engine. It'll clean the combustion chamber. An old mechanic taught me that if you spray a little water into the intake, it'll clean out the carbon. He'd rev the motor a bit, and spray a little water until the motor stumbled. Then the exhaust would blow out a black cloud. He'd repeat a few times until it just blew white smoke.
Yup.
Father in law raced top fuel dragster taught me that one, it works. I’m sure you could overdo it, don’t use a garden hose! I keep mister bottles around for it.

At the pinnacle of piston engine development for fighter planes nearing the end of WWII, planes came with a "go fast" button that allowed a short (seconds) over-throttle condition, made possible by water injection to slightly cool the intake air and accept a tad more fuel.

From what I understand developed by the Germans to bring the octane rating of their poor quality fuel up so their aircraft could compete with the allies. I found it really interesting reading when I was looking into using it to cool the intake charge in my ute.
20181010_210952.jpg

Well, Brahma is back to happy now. The old filter is not useable so I am getting a new one and since it is just 700 miles till the oil change might as well get it all now. Thanks for your input brothers.

A little water going through the air intake won't hurt the engine. It'll clean the combustion chamber. An old mechanic taught me that if you spray a little water into the intake, it'll clean out the carbon. He'd rev the motor a bit, and spray a little water until the motor stumbled. Then the exhaust would blow out a black cloud. He'd repeat a few times until it just blew white smoke.

Well, heck, I learned something new today!

Figure out where the water eegress is coming from and fix the problem. Probably the intake elbow going to the air box.
From bitter experience - depending on the rain direction, angle/lean of the bike etc - It can (does) enter via the intake snorkel under the seat - esp R/H side. No big issue (fill the snorkel with spray foam) if you use K&N/RAMAIR etc. Rather limiting if like @Boog you use the filterbox to actually filter.

Back