Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I left work a few days ago during a hard rain. Brahma was not acting right, kind of a stutter on acceleration. A few minutes later I was on the freeway at speed and didn't give it another thought.

The next day, I fired him up and rode a about 50 m and the check engine light came on. As I rolled on to the main road, I noticed the engine would not rev so I limped it back home and drove to work.

I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot till tonight. First thing I did was clean the battery leads. It was then that I noticed an inch or so of water inside the air filter box!

I took the air filter out and it was completely wet to the top and all around. I sopped the water out of the box.

I put the seat back on without the filter and rode around the block with full power but the check engine light still on. I let it set to cool down for a few hours and took it around the block to heat it up. Still have full power. I expect the engine light to go off tomorrow morning when I go to work.

I have not figured out exactly how the rain got in there yet. But should I worry about water that may have got in the intake?

A little water going through the air intake won't hurt the engine. It'll clean the combustion chamber. An old mechanic taught me that if you spray a little water into the intake, it'll clean out the carbon. He'd rev the motor a bit, and spray a little water until the motor stumbled. Then the exhaust would blow out a black cloud. He'd repeat a few times until it just blew white smoke.

On the other hand the plenum system on the Rocket is one of the most restrictive I have ever seen.

It has to chock the engine. I yanked it all off and am running a Ramair and am very happy with it.

There are some great pods out there also.

Just my opinion.

I have not figured out exactly how the rain got in there yet. But should I worry about water that may have got in the intake?
Are the intake vents in the same place on a T? - Under seat just rear of rider's bum? Do they also have a snorkel built into the seat?

Just leave a sheet of plastic over the seat - it'll also keep the seat dry.

Back