Shoei Multitec

If you've got a 5 dollar head, buy a five dollar helmet...........:eek:

Wow, that's really off to the left. Now, if you lived in Ohio or Indiana, you'd be telling us how you don't wear a helmet at all.:)

By the way, the Michigan State Police are doing random helmet checks just like seatbelts. They want to see your DOT or Snell sticker. That's all hogwash. It's a proven fact that manufacturers buy the stickers and affix them to helmets without ever subjecting a helmet to destructive testing.

I'm really not wanting to start a helmet debate, I just believe that it should be your personal choice whether you wear a helmet or not. We have enough rules and regulations mandated by politicians who don't have a clue what they are making law. My personal choice is a helmet whether Michigan has a helmet law isn't germane to me. I wear my lid 100% of the time. I'm not one of those guys who stop at the state line and take it off. Because, like you say, even though it's pretty left of center, 5 buck head, 5 buck lid.

Over and out......

Well I sucked it up and ordered a Multitec this week and just got it the other day - first ride tonight. If anyone is shopping for a modular style helmet this is definitely worth a look. Very light and quiet. The best ventilation of any full faced helmet I have owned. And it cuts the through the wind very well (I don't have a windshield) so good in fact it feels the same at 115 mph as it does at 15 mph.

Helmet testing

It goes without saying they can’t do a destructive test on each helmet but they are required by law to do random test’s and if I’m not mistaken they also do one with each batch.
I have the KBC RR show in my photo album I like it so far good ventilation and shield also removes without tools.
I do have to admit though around town I do not always were a helmet.:eek:

It goes without saying they can’t do a destructive test on each helmet but they are required by law to do random test’s and if I’m not mistaken they also do one with each batch.
I have the KBC RR show in my photo album I like it so far good ventilation and shield also removes without tools.
I do have to admit though around town I do not always were a helmet.:eek:

Evidently, what 'they (helmet manufacturers) are supposed to do and what they actually do is 2 different animals according to what ABATE here in Michigan found out. I read quite a bit of the testimony that was transcribed from the court proceedings. Basically, the court found that the Michigan State Police can't enforce the Snell Foundation/DOT requirements because of the lax testing of production helmets and because the MSP has no way to actually test the helmets themselves. It was all a smokescreen for harassment that backfired. I don't believe any of the transcripts are on the web. I read them in a shop owned by one of the district ABATE people.

Like seatbelts, it's all about revenue, not safety.

I'm waiting for seatbelts on bikes.:(

In MI if you are wearing what are called novelty or skull caps (some are even putting DOT stickers on the back) and are stopped. ABATE recomends you politely refuse to remove you helmet. Police will want to check for a label stiched inside. When the officer insists you remove it (other option being a ride downtown) Remove helmet and place it on the seat of the bike shiney side up. If he then picks it up it is an illegal search and will automatically be thrown out of court.. Myself I'll stick with a DOT helmet I do wear a half helmet when heat is in the 80's.

As I have said before "If you have a $5.00 head buy a $5.00 helmet"

Last edited:
We obviously have a lot of 5 dollar heads here in Michigan. Must be autoworkers. Those assembly line jobs are brainless anyway.

30 years of putting in 4 bolts and tightening 'em up with an air powered torque limiting wrench, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week sometimes weekends for 30 friggin years. That takes skill.....no, that takes being brain dead.

Where the heck were we... might have been Alter Ego (an aftermarket Harley shop), they were selling "DOT" stickers to put on your beaner helmet.

Where the heck were we... might have been Alter Ego (an aftermarket Harley shop), they were selling "DOT" stickers to put on your beaner helmet.

That sounds like a plan. Forget the helmet. Go and get a 2.5 gallon white plastic pail with the wire bail and put on your DOT sticker and wear your bucket proudly.

I said before, heads and watermelons have a lot in common.:D

Back