Product Reviews-Shoei RF-SR, Slatin Moto Jeans

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Hi all,
Thought i'd offer some thoughts about my recent purchases of a Shoei helmet and riding jeans.

Shoei RF-SR full face helmet
RF-SR

I have previously owned Scorpion helmets as they seem to fit my head just fine and were priced within my budget. The helmet I was wearing during my accident 6 weeks ago was the EXO-R710 Transect. I bought that helmet after learning fiberglass has the best characteristics in regards to energy dispersal. In other words, it does the best job spreading the force of an impact across the shell of the helmet. This particular helmet is the least expensive lid available with a fiberglass shell (about ($210 most places).
When looking for a replacement, I planned on going with the same helmet again but thought I should at least look at all options out there. Tried on several makes/models from Arai, Nolan, Bell, etc. The Shoei has great reviews (a fairly new model) and I found it fit my head a bit tighter all around (in a good way) than my previous Scorpion. When riding at highway speeds, my Scorpion would rotate slightly if I turned my head sideways. The Shoei does not. It also fits tighter around the neck. That feature makes it a bit harder to put on and remove but when it's on, it feels like it was custom made for my head. I understand everyone's head is different shaped and one should first and foremost pick a helmet that fits correctly. I'm just saying I thought my Scorpion fit great until I tried on the Shoei. The helmet is also the quietest helmet I've worn. That may be a result of the tighter fit.
The Shoei can be found for about $400 but I was able to get mine at a great sale price of $325 at a local shop. Very happy with my new lid.

Slatin Motorcycle Jeans
SuperFabric Armored Motorcycle Gear Made by Us for You

As most of you know, I'm a big advocate of ATGATT. I purchased a set of Maple motorcycle jeans a few years ago. Very expensive ($450 i think) but were fitted with Kevlar lining, hips and knee armor, great styling (look like normal jeans) and button fly front (if your jeans have a zipper, you've got too much sugar in your tank, long live 501's!). The jeans performed flawlessly as I impacted the highway and slid. While my hips and knees were bruised and sore, I can only guess the greater injuries I would've received had I been wearing regular jeans or the like. The combination of armor and Kevlar literally saved my ass.
While I was able to get the jeans repaired (somewhat) I wanted to get a new pair. Maple is out of business and 1 day I followed a pop-up ad to Slatin Motorcycle gear. Great pricing with great features. I purchased a pair of his jeans that are fitted with hip and knee armor and are lined with Kevlar. Only $100! I got the 34x34's and they are plenty long and fit great. Not too tight but not loose or bulky. He's got other products on his website at similar great prices in comparison to other brands with the same features. I may invest in his perforated leather jacket next year. If you're in the market for new gear (or will need some next spring), you should check out his stuff.

Hello Thorin and than you for the review. Shoie has been on my head for both of my mishaps. I wore the RF-1000 when I crashed my VMAX west of Sadelia; it took three good blows and held together quite nicely though I did have a concussion for 6 weeks.
I wore the RF-1100 when I hit Bambi in Virginia on my FZ-1. That time there was no major blows but I did skid/roll along the wet grass for a few yards. I kept wearing this one despite knowing we should always replace a helmet after it has been used for its intended safety reasons.

Oddly enough, on both of those crashes, I was wearing the exact same pair of 5.11 pants. Neither crash tore them up. These were the heavier grade winter type pants that I wear for work. U have considered pants like you reviewed here but haven't looked into them enough to know if they come in cargo pocket style or not. I don't like riding with my wallet in my back pocket and avoid that as much as I can. Also, having a pair of pants specific for highway riding has seemed economically unfeasible in the past especially since I ride to work everyday.

Thanks again for your input of these items. I prefer to read what my brothers and sisters say about their chosen gear more than what manufacturers tout. I hope you are healed up by now and it seems that riding is deeply ingrain in your being, so stay safe out there and keep the rubber side down...

Are the jeans 100% lined? - most seem only to be armoured at "high wear" areas. I know JohnDoe (Germany) and Hood(UK) are both 100% lined. Some of the HOOD have a double lining of Kevlar. Both available as Cargo mr @Boog

No, you are correct. They are lined at only the high wear areas. The placement of Kevlar seems to be in keeping with the areas where you will most likely need it.

No, you are correct. They are lined at only the high wear areas. The placement of Kevlar seems to be in keeping with the areas where you will most likely need it.
And that worries me - I have "most likely" type jeans (Lindstrands) and frankly after your (and @laraza ) spill - less than convinced. 1 tiny tear and the protected zone will simply fold back. Mine are now mothballed. I am searching high and low for some Leather Pants I like (i.e. NOT Power Ranger) and NOT a jeans cut. Held in Germany is holding my interest at the mo'.

Back