Moto Guzzi Anyone?

The real way to chrome is - Copper first (this is for several reasons but one is against corrosion) - then Nickel (that's the shiny bit) then chrome which is a hard anti abrasive cover.

A modern alternative to lead is oddly ACF50. Apply and rub into the chrome well - then leave it a GOOD 3 months to fully penetrate and dry a bit.

That's pretty much the standard in the US, which is what is meant when chrome shops, or suppliers, advertise "triple plating". Conversely, I'm told that much of the imported chrome, primarily Chinese, is not.

The owner of a local chrome plating shop gave me a tour of the facility a few years ago and showed me the process. I couldn't wait to get out of it though because it had all the trappings of a toxic waste dump. The owner died riddled with cancer at about age 50 and I was not surprised.

When I sold my three HDs over the past 5 years, a 1978 FLH, 1988 Electra Glide Classic, and a 2001 Dyna, the chrome still looked good on all of them. The chrome on my 09 R3T seems to be holding up well but I keep it in a temperature & humidity controlled shop and regularly wax the chrome bits.

Think about it..... Harley may not be the best at spending money on engine development but you can't fault them for their bling quality...... and quantity!

Please describe ACF50. What is it ? Where do we get it ?
Lear Chemical Research Corporation

Just look for it in Amazon.

Surprised so many in the US seem so unaware of it. Beats the living daylights out of WD40 for example. In the UK I know there are companies that use it to winter proof bikes and cars. And most bikers I have mete there know about it. Here it is NOT common - but I was put onto it by friends from the USA in Aviation.

I couldn't wait to get out of it though because it had all the trappings of a toxic waste dump.
Never mind the trappings - IT IS A VERY TOXIC BUSINESS. I think most existing chromers are old businesses that have not changed hands - otherwise most would simply not be allowed a business license. Cyanide, Selenium and other nasties in there. Surprised he got cancer as that mix would kill it off.

Never mind the trappings - IT IS A VERY TOXIC BUSINESS. I think most existing chromers are old businesses that have not changed hands - otherwise most would simply not be allowed a business license. Cyanide, Selenium and other nasties in there. Surprised he got cancer as that mix would kill it off.

That it is and that all of the chromers are old businesses is very true here. With that said, the one I visited was fairly new and I wondered how he got the necessary permits to open in our very environmentally sensitive area. I hadn't realized it had closed and when I stopped by, spoke to a state inspector who was visiting the closed shop. We had the same conversation.

On the anti-corrosion product, I use a similar one but get it at the marine supply stores. It is much more effective than WD-40.

If only the MG had floorboards. Wonder if you can add them...easily...and affordably...unlike the Roadster.
Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring, and California Custom, both have footboards as standard.

I test rode a Touring before buying my 2015 Rocket Roadster. Easier to manage at parking lot speeds than the Rocket, footboards give more leg room than Roadster pegs. Enough legroom for my 6'2" frame, my knees did not touch the cylinder heads. Intuitive steering and very neutral handling encouraged more sporty riding than the Rocket does. Decent power (90HP) but nothing like a Rocket). A lot of character, too.

As soon as the Rocket gets too heavy to handle, A 1400 Guzzi will be on my short list. I bought the Rocket because I had a hankering for one, being a Triumph guy, and I needed to get it out of my system before I either become too old/weak to handle it, or simply ready for a smaller bike.

If only the MG had floorboards. Wonder if you can add them...easily...and affordably...unlike the Roadster.

upload_2018-12-2_20-38-27.png

upload_2018-12-2_20-39-39.png

The Eldorado has floorboards also. Is the Eldorado really the California Custom? .

But I like the MG! If I was serious I would see if they could be put on. For sure I'm done with pegs if there are any future bikes. I don't do long rides because of pegs. My Harley spoiled me in that regard I guess.:)

I really enjoy my 2014 MG Touring. Speed wise the Rocket will eat it for breakfast, but on a long trip, the most comfortable and road equipped bike I have ever owned.... I have owned it for almost a year and there are still computer screens I am trying to figure out, yet a monkey with a GED can adjust the valves and do the maintenance.

DSC03542.JPG

Back