Moto Guzzi Anyone?

Looked nice when he bought it, within 2 years just about every piece of chrome had pitted through and rusted.
Ah yes - Italian chrome. 90% of the chrome parts on Italian bikes was done by one company. They finally went bankrupt - I wonder why?.

Thing is chrome IS porous - always has been and always will be. So unless the base metal is Stainless - YOU HAVE TO CLEAN IT, DRY IT AND WAX IT. The best cleaning material WAS newspaper - back when the ink contained lead.

Ah yes - Italian chrome. 90% of the chrome parts on Italian bikes was done by one company. They finally went bankrupt - I wonder why?.

Thing is chrome IS porous - always has been and always will be. So unless the base metal is Stainless - YOU HAVE TO CLEAN IT, DRY IT AND WAX IT. The best cleaning material WAS newspaper - back when the ink contained lead.
Fish 'n' chips tasted better then too.

I didn't realise chrome is porous. It's used in so many industrial applications I always figured it was 'heavy duty' as well as decorative. Good to know.

My 92 softail has better chrome than my Rockets. The softail has 130k on it. haven't ridden it in 10 years. The guy at Stearns, I think Eric said it was Dan, met the guy, good dude, anyway he had a MG that he loved. Offered to let us ride it. Wish I did

My 92 softail has better chrome than my Rockets. The softail has 130k on it. haven't ridden it in 10 years. The guy at Stearns, I think Eric said it was Dan, met the guy, good dude, anyway he had a MG that he loved. Offered to let us ride it. Wish I did

I'll second that, the paint and chrome on my 94 Dynaglide looked better after 17 or 18 years than my Rocket did after the first year or two. You get what you pay for.

Dan will be back for Maggie Valley, I'm sure he'll give you another chance to ride it. I thought it did have floor boards, I'll have to look again.

I didn't realise chrome is porous. It's used in so many industrial applications I always figured it was 'heavy duty' as well as decorative. Good to know.
The real way to chrome is - Copper first (this is for several reasons but one is against corrosion) - then Nickel (that's the shiny bit) then chrome which is a hard anti abrasive cover.

A modern alternative to lead is oddly ACF50. Apply and rub into the chrome well - then leave it a GOOD 3 months to fully penetrate and dry a bit.

Back