Review of shoei rf 1200 helmet

The instructions say you should remove them and put them back on occasionally to make sure they are easy to remove. I'm not sure if you have to replace regularly but they aren't that expensive (like 40 I think)

I have never removed a pin lock lens from any of my helmets and never had any issues. My HJC CL-17 is over 6 years old and has no fog issues. My IS-Max 2 is about a year old and no issues with it either.

I agree though, Pinlock is amazing and one of the requirements for any helmet I buy.

I ride all year 'round and the pin lock system is the only thing that works. Trouble is, it's a really soft plastic coating that is impossible to clean, so a couple of sneezes and you're done -- so yes, I find they have to be replaced fairly frequently -- but they do work.

And with all due respect, a rider from Houston of all places saying he never had any issues.

Reminds me of the story about the little boy in Peoria, jumping up and down on a street corner. A man sees this, and stops in front of the boy, and asks, "Young man, why are you jumping up and down ?"

The little boy responds, "Why sir, to keep the elephants away !"

The man exclaims, "There are no elephants around here!"

To which the boy responds, "See ? It works !"

Most helmet (except Nolan which uses a copycat system and I can from experience tell you it does not work as well) makers use the trademark "Pinlock" system but you can actually buy the "Pinlock" kit for various helmets and they also make a universal kit. "Pinlock" is a Dutch company and has been around for about 15+ years that I know of they also make tinted visors so you can swap between clear at night and tint of a day time.
You can tell an authentic Pinlock by the very small silicon bead around the edge

Last edited:
I had mine in my Nolan probably 4 years, never any issues
Probably fixed the issues as I had them replace my visor and their pin lock twice in the first six months, this was some 11 year ago, after the second replacement's scratched up between the visor and pinlock I gave up and bought my Shark Evoline 1 which I have now worn out and replaced with the Evoline 3, even better again

I ride all year 'round and the pin lock system is the only thing that works. Trouble is, it's a really soft plastic coating that is impossible to clean, so a couple of sneezes and you're done -- so yes, I find they have to be replaced fairly frequently -- but they do work.

And with all due respect, a rider from Houston of all places saying he never had any issues.

Reminds me of the story about the little boy in Peoria, jumping up and down on a street corner. A man sees this, and stops in front of the boy, and asks, "Young man, why are you jumping up and down ?"

The little boy responds, "Why sir, to keep the elephants away !"

The man exclaims, "There are no elephants around here!"

To which the boy responds, "See ? It works !"

And here is where putting a location in you profile means nothing. I grew up in East Ohio, lived there 30+ years riding motorcycles a very large part of it.

So with all due respect, your whole post is not relevant to my experience.

Point taken. :thumbsup:

Perhaps I haven't found the magic one -- so perhaps you could post a link or links to what you have used for thirty years with no problems ?

And maybe you have found a special way to handle it such that the useful life is greatly extended ?

Then an interested person may check around to see how widespread is the experience ?

Thanks

I don't do anything special. I buy HJC helmets because they make a 3x and have pinlock visors.

I buy the pinlock inserts from trusted vendors. The only time I ever had a problem was due to bad packaging which creased the insert so that the glue seal wouldn't contact the shield all the way around. Install per instructions.

I try not to cough, sneeze or breathe toward the visor so it doesn't need cleaned often.

When I do clean, I use Novus plastic cleaner on the whole helmet, visor and insert and shell

*Edited poor spelling due to posting from my phone*

Last edited:
Back