Moff2300

Standard Bore
Ride
2013 rocket 3 roadster
Hi, new to this site and hoping to find some guidance.

I own a 2013 rocket 3 roadster. My dad bought it new and I have since bought it from him 2 years ago.
The bike has been flawless, never had a issue. Its just hit 21K

When shifting from 4th to 5th it would sometimes miss. It felt like it was in and I would throttle on but it was not in 4th nor 5th and would sometimes grind a little.

Recently when in 3rd 4th and 5th when i throttle on (not hard) it will jump down a gear and in doing so naturally surge forward!! I do also have a little trouble finding neutral. The gears themselves move nice. No clunking or alarming noises but when power is applied in those gears it will jump down the box!

I have stripped the front cover off and also removed my clutch. Unfortunately the detent spring is still intact which I was hoping was the issue.

The bike has been regularly serviced including a dealer 20K service. Missing 5th gear and having a little trouble with neutral has been for a while now but the jumping down of gears has been very recent.

Any ideas what this could be? Very much appreciate any help.

Unfortunately not good news.

It could be a bent selector fork at best or worst case maybe a broken cerclip on either the input or output shaft (allowing the shaft to move out of alignment, hence jumping out of 5th gear).

Unless you pull the whole gearbox apart and strip/check everything you will never know.

Good luck.

Yes looks like a accidental miss shift popped the cir-clip out of the groove on the transmission out put shaft. That or the torsional damper shaft nut has come loose I've only seen a couple come loose but they were pre roadsters. The advice about not riding it until you fix it is sound advice. Just incase I didn't explain it right :) if your having this problem and continue to ride it. It will suffer from catastrophic failure!!!!!!

If it is the circlip which has come out of the groove, I'd refrain from driving the bike until it's fixed. Hate to end up with 2 gears engaging at the same time.
Yup, I locked her up on the interstate on a blind curve/dip at rush hour in St Louis, I was in 2 gears at once, skidded back tire to a stop. A few members were there, when I finally got it in a gear, ( not first), we strung out along the highway so when a gap appeared they could signal me to pull out. Not my most fun day.

Yup, I locked her up on the interstate on a blind curve/dip at rush hour in St Louis, I was in 2 gears at once, skidded back tire to a stop. A few members were there, when I finally got it in a gear, ( not first), we strung out along the highway so when a gap appeared they could signal me to pull out. Not my most fun day.
But Lupe, who I had only met once previously, saved the day. He called me at the hotel and talked me into continuing on to his house with the uhaul and lent me his Harley Heritage, and we continued on for a week of riding in Colorado

Back