Running Rich (the bike, not me) & Faltering Idle

gR3yWolf

Turbocharged
Ride
'07 Classic
OK, here's the deal...over a stretch of 300-400 miles, mostly back and forth to work, I noticed my fuel mileage began to drop. During this period of time the idle began to go lower and rougher, until it reached the point where I had to keep the rev's up when I stopped, otherwise, it would stall. Starting was never an issue until the very end, when it became very difficult to keep it running after startup.

Some basic history...it's an '07 with 97,000 miles running the same mildly altered tune for the last 95,000 miles, TOR's, and triple K & N's. The TPS was replaced about 34,000 miles ago.

Things I did to correct the problem:
  • Reset the adaptives with TuneECU
  • Verified the TPS voltage is within limits (5.8V, a little on the low end, but still in tolerance)
  • Confirmed the throttle bodies are within limits
  • Checked for vacuum leaks by starting the bike and spraying starting ether around all the vacuum hoses, while lightly tugging an pulling and moving them, listening for any changes in idle speed
  • Drained the tank and put fresh fuel with Lucas fuel conditioner/additive
  • Cleaned all the K & N filters, including the small one for the air charge temperature sensor, as well as the PVC breather
  • Drank a Yuengling beer
All this helped, but the bike is still running on the rich side, and the idle does tend to drop and is a bit rough after things warm up, but nothing like it was doing before.

I'm sure it is something simple...my first thought is a faulty/failing air charge temperature sensor, but I'd like to test and confirm before buying a new one.

I'll do both a new tune (recommendations? (TOR's & Cat Delete) and I'll bump up the TPS. What method to TEST the MAP, other than swapping? Dave I thought you tried swapping yours out at Maggie Valley?

Back