Rocket Touring Power? Good? Need more??

Indian

.040 Over
Hey guys, got a few questions for those who have ridden the new R3 Touring...
I have heard that the power (108hp) is way down, can anyone tell us your experiences, compared to the R3 with 140hp?
Is there a way to get some hp back?
Will tuneboy help with the full on secondaries?
Is it possible at this point to expect the same kind of power that the reg R3 is putting out? (probably not :-(
What changes were made to reduce HP? i think cams were changed, anthing else?

I have a friend that is interested in the Touring model, he test rode one but was disappointed in the power.. compared to the R3 with tuneboy.
I have not ridden one yet but think the tuneboy should wake it up once a tune is avl.. your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Indy

Haven't ridden one, but know they they boosted the torque in lieu of HP.

If you are pulling a load with pillion on board, the torque would be the way to go. If you want balls out acceleration, why would you want a tourer in the first place would be my question?

Get a standard R3, tune it, pipe it, cam it and hang on! :twisted:

It's all about what type of riding you wanna do. I like my Classic Tourer cause it's a standard type R3, but with the touring goodies installed. Best of both worlds I guess. :?

Just about every source I've seen said the Touring's power band was made only from exhaust and tuning changes. There was one snippet in a rag that said cams were changed but I think they got their bobbles mixed up.

I haven't ridden a Touring model, but you can't really compare any Rocket to one modified with Tuneboy. The stocker will always feel real sluggish especially in the lower gears.

What I think is if existing Rocket exhaust options fit the Touring's new frame, then any aftermarket perfomance exhaust coupled with intake mods and existing Tuneboy tuning will bring the Touring real close to standard pumped up Rockets. Biggest problem is whether current exhaust options will mate with it. Probably not, but Triumph offers TORs for the Touring so that could be close enough to a full TORs system on standard Rockets to use existing tunes.

gldean,
I understand what you are saying, however a lot of R3 people are complaining that they love the new bike but will not take less power.
As we all know power is addictive!!

I think triumph may need to address this in the future.
I feel like if i wanted that model, i think i could get it to run pretty good with tuneboy and exhaust. i know just opening up the secondaries helps a ton..

it would be nice to know if they messed with the cams.. that could be how they got the torque up..

The after market exhaust (jardines etc) R3 pipes wont fit it cause of the upsweep. but the baggers TORs should help a little. and im sure a bypass pipe will be along soon. i think it is just going to take some time for the after market and tuneboy to catch up..

Ask the dealer for the part No for the cams for both bikes, see if their is a difference, if not it must be down to ECU programing and pipes and or intake.

guess thats one way to do it.. they probably dont even have part numbers for the new bike yet knowing them..

I test rode the touring and came away disappointed. Not because of the power, I thought it was just right. The lack of a trunk and adjustable levers. The 5 gal fuel tank had me scratching my head. Why produce a touring model and give it a smaller tank than your cruisers? They still have not fixed the fuel gauge problem. The transmission was very noisy and would not go into neutral with the bike running. It clunked loudly with every shift. I was impressed with the handling, even at slow speeds. It felt pretty darned nimble for an 800lb bike. I am going to wait for the next model year to see if they fix any of this.

Louis,
Hoping to be a Triumph owner someday!

Remember you will hear more (all) little noises just cause the windshield is on there.. drives ya nuts sometimes, but still it should shift better and like you said they need to attend to some of this stuff. good idea to wait a couple years til they get it right, took them a couple years to get the rocket right.

To drop 32 HP and gain TQ? I suspect something more drastic. Really, top end HP is not what "shocks" riders not used to it-it's low to mid range torque (for liability purposes).

Get the full powered Rock (which FWIW 2005+ has the power already reduced from 140 due to the CA+ emissions) and add as you see fit.

Add the gear you want, and the power you want. Unless you don't care, which in that case-maybe try another brand :?

We might find out that the touring model is the best r3 to mod because of better handling! I want one! Send donations! 8)

Back