Need Help 2008 Touring

Rockt3

.060 Over
Ride
05 Rocket & 08 Rocket Touring
I need some help with my 2008 Rocket Touring. I bought the bike back in April of 2017 shortly after that it developed an oil leak in the head gasket by the oil pressure sending unit. Faced with a repair that involved head removal I figured the best thing I could do was ship it to Berlin NJ and have Carpenter Racing do a 210 HP kit. The bike has run great until now. It started stuttering and popping losing power when trying to cruise as normal speeds. WOT it would still pull pretty hard. I checked the TPS and it was jumping around some so I replaced it. Still didn't help. Next changed spark plugs that didn't help either. Then I did some checking and saw that coil failures have been an issue, so I removed the stock coils and installed some R1 stick coils. Nope that wasn't the problem. I then thought I would look at the throttle bodies syncing. The numbers where way off #1 was 950, 2 was 740, 3 was 760. I reached out to Carpenter Racing; they said it was likely the Power Commander V had failed and to replace it or just unplug it and see if that made any difference. I did, it didn't. My next move was to buy another complete set of low milage throttle bodies complete with all the motors and sensors off Ebay. I installed them checked the sync numbers and they were exactly the same. I'm not sure exactly what to try next. I have my 05 Rocket and 2015 Touring that are both running perfect. Might try swapping the ECU and map sensor from the 05 just to see. I would appreciate any input as to what could cause that drastic of an imbalance in the throttle bodies even after swapping them out. Where does tune ECU get the values it displays?
Thanks,
Carl

RUN COMPRESSION CHECK. SORry caps
check vacuum lines and vacuum plugs.

+1 on the vacuum tubes (4) and blanks (4). Really, really sounds like you just got a vacuum leak.
Or the MAP sensor is malfunctioning but this is hugely less likely. But it's strange how you swapped throttles out as the vac lines are attached to those.
Unless the leak is on the merger to MAP sensor tube and that was not swapped out.
At your altitude those balance numbers are way too high. And with the new throttles being all the same, when the numbers are high, means leak.
When you are low throttle/cruising etc the bike fuels off pressure tables (MAP), and when you open it up it switches over to throttle position based fuel map.
So a vacuum leak would also explain why it runs crap while cruising and good when going WOT.

Well, I replaced all the vacuum lines and caps with silicon ones. Still have the same issues. Has anyone ever had issues with the mounting boots leaking? That will probably be the next thing I look at. Any other places that could have vacuum leaks?

Back