Rocket running poorly, suggestions welcomed

tribal

Moto Hobo Gypsy Vagabond
North America - presently touring the USA
Ride
2005 Rocket III & 2015 Rocket III Roadster
Crap, I just barely limped into my motel before dark.

Symptoms: Over the last 200 miles the bike started having hesitation issues as I was taking off.

The last 50 were pretty bad but once I got rolling on open highway it seemed OK.

15 miles ago I hit traffic and had to keep pulling in the clutch to keep it from dying.

It seems to idle fine.

It also seems like the fan keeps running in gear.

What I changed today:
1. Added blue Loctite to battery bolts before I left this morning as they kept loosening every few days the whole trip. It would lose power and eventually stall until I retightened them (as per RAA West incident).

Stopped and retightened the terminals as the Locktite ain’t doing Jack (ran into a fellow Rocketeer).
Q. Could sloppy application of LT cause electrical issues?

2. Added fuel treatment in case rough take off was due to water/bad gas.

3. I noticed the radiator reservoir was empty and filled it to max with Hy-per Cool Super Coolant.

My tank is under the left side cover and maybe I hit a relay putting it back on but I don’t have my manual to see what’s in there. I’ll check in the am that all are seated well...

4. Pushed on fuses but didn’t inspect yet.

Bike starts fine so I think the clutch sensor is probably OK.

I have some tools with me so I can try other checks in the morning if you fine folks have some suggestions.

I’m close to Miami so I’m also looking for a recommended repair facility to call if I can’t sort it out tomorrow.

I see Triumph Miami, TripleTriumph and another dealer up in Pompano...

TIA

Check the spade terminals on the coils.

Remove clean and dielectric grease them.
Maybe give them a squeeze with pliers to close them up so they fit tight.

Coil 1 is a bugger to get too.

Happened to me on Sunday fine at the speed limit but above that it would miss.
Did this once I got home but haven't been able to ride the Rocket to see if OK.

Has happened twice before and thats been the fix that worked for me.
Also check coil leads are tight

Hope this helps you

Crap, I just barely limped into my motel before dark.

Symptoms: Over the last 200 miles the bike started having hesitation issues as I was taking off.

The last 50 were pretty bad but once I got rolling on open highway it seemed OK.

15 miles ago I hit traffic and had to keep pulling in the clutch to keep it from dying.

It seems to idle fine.

It also seems like the fan keeps running in gear.

What I changed today:
1. Added blue Loctite to battery bolts before I left this morning as they kept loosening every few days the whole trip. It would lose power and eventually stall until I retightened them (as per RAA West incident).

Stopped and retightened the terminals as the Locktite ain’t doing Jack (ran into a fellow Rocketeer).
Q. Could sloppy application of LT cause electrical issues?

2. Added fuel treatment in case rough take off was due to water/bad gas.

3. I noticed the radiator reservoir was empty and filled it to max with Hy-per Cool Super Coolant.

My tank is under the left side cover and maybe I hit a relay putting it back on but I don’t have my manual to see what’s in there. I’ll check in the am that all are seated well...

4. Pushed on fuses but didn’t inspect yet.

Bike starts fine so I think the clutch sensor is probably OK.

I have some tools with me so I can try other checks in the morning if you fine folks have some suggestions.

I’m close to Miami so I’m also looking for a recommended repair facility to call if I can’t sort it out tomorrow.

I see Triumph Miami, TripleTriumph and another dealer up in Pompano...

TIA
Any chance you have changed the air filter lately? I experienced similar symptoms when I changed to a K&N filter.

Yes check the coil leads that could very well be it. All you have to do is raise the tank.

LT isn't a big issue.

Could be a lot of things, so hopefully the coil connections being loose fixes it.

Hoping for your sake it's not a TPS.

Back