Rocket III Valve compressor tool to be available again.

Without the $250.00 tool, taking to the dealership @ $110.00 Per hour X 2.5 hours for valve setting (that's the book time from Triumph) = $275.00
Just sayin

sad but true

Maybe it just wasn't done in the right way. Like I said, if the borrower had to post a security deposit for the price of the tool, he would be very likely to return it. And if an amount was deducted from the refund for keeping it too long, that would be even more incentive. Just something to think about. As I mentioned, I hate to lend out anything because of bad experiences even with people I know and who live by me. But in this case, a security deposit should solve that. My point is that, with a little thought, I think this could be worked out. Personally, I was thinking of just buying the tool for myself if the price is right. If I do, I would consider lending it out if something was worked out like I mention above.

Once gain, the price of the tool will go down if more than one is sold. The $250 price is an estimate for how much the maker would charge if he sold just one tool. That's why I'm suggesting that anyone who may be interested in the tool contact the guy linked in my original post and tell him if you are interested and perhaps mention what price it would be worth it to you to buy it at so he can get an idea of how many he might be making and that would help him determine the actual price. The point is, you can probably just forget the $250 figure.

Without the $250.00 tool, taking to the dealership @ $110.00 Per hour X 2.5 hours for valve setting (that's the book time from Triumph) = $275.00
Just sayin

Yep! And the tool won't cost $250 if the maker sells a few or more. Of course, you have to figure in your time too but I do all my own work anyway so that's not a consideration for me.

I you're interested in the tool, contact the guy in my original post and let him know. Also, let him know what price would make it worth it to you.

Last edited:
Yep! And the tool won't cost $250 if the maker sells more than one. Even at $250, it would pay for itself with just one use if someone otherwise would have Triumph do the job. As for me, I would do the job myself anyway so it would just be a time-saver. But these days I notice that a lot of bikers don't work on their bikes. I'm just getting back into riding and one of the first things I noticed is how so many bikers these days don't do virtually any work on their bikes. Some even have their oil changed! I guess I'm old-school. That was unheard of in my day. In fact, back in the day, I thought that anyone who owned a bike and couldn't do their own work shouldn't even own a bike. Of course, some bikers CAN do the work but don't because their time is too valuable. I understand that. I'm 66 and I do ALL of my work on ALL of my machines and not just to save money. I do it because I know the job is done right. The very few times I've had someone do work on my machines (usually because of bitter cold winter weather - my shop isn't heated), I got ripped off and/or they messed up the job.

Exactly... I know the labor time from dealership on this because after doing everything myself on the 30,000 service I got down to the valve clearance check. We have a dealership here where I live but it is a H-D/Triumph combo dealer (can you believe that sh*t?) and they NEVER have any Triumph parts because everyone & their brother has H-D :x3: - So I knew if I did the valve clrnc check & needed different size shims I would be SOL..... There is a really good Triumph shop in Dallas (RPM Cycle) that does the check for 2.5 Hour @ $110.00 per hour, But they also replace any shims at no additional charge (for the shims or the additional labor). So for $275.00 + $30.00 gasket, they did mine and it needed 2 exhaust shims PLUS the dealership that did the check at 10,000 miles for the previous owner had way over torqued one of the cam saddle bolts & it took the tech 2 more hours to get it out. They didn't even charge me extra for that because it is a flat rate job (but they really could have).
anyway, I got off subject but I just wanted to sing the praises of a dealership that I feel like really cares about their customers (They treated me like I was the only customer they had..... That's rare these days so cuddo's to them)

For anyone interested in the D-F/W area:

Texas Motorcycle Dealer: Triumph,Honda,KTM, Aprilia,Moto Guzzi, Norton & Motus Motorcycles For Sale

read their testimonials page

Again, Sorry for getting off subject :rolleyes: :whitstling: ;)

Exactly... I know the labor time from dealership on this because after doing everything myself on the 30,000 service I got down to the valve clearance check. We have a dealership here where I live but it is a H-D/Triumph combo dealer (can you believe that sh*t?) and they NEVER have any Triumph parts because everyone & their brother has H-D :x3: - So I knew if I did the valve clrnc check & needed different size shims I would be SOL..... There is a really good Triumph shop in Dallas (RPM Cycle) that does the check for 2.5 Hour @ $110.00 per hour, But they also replace any shims at no additional charge (for the shims or the additional labor). So for $275.00 + $30.00 gasket, they did mine and it needed 2 exhaust shims PLUS the dealership that did the check at 10,000 miles for the previous owner had way over torqued one of the cam saddle bolts & it took the tech 2 more hours to get it out. They didn't even charge me extra for that because it is a flat rate job (but they really could have).
anyway, I got off subject but I just wanted to sing the praises of a dealership that I feel like really cares about their customers (They treated me like I was the only customer they had..... That's rare these days so cuddo's to them)

For anyone interested in the D-F/W area:

Texas Motorcycle Dealer: Triumph,Honda,KTM, Aprilia,Moto Guzzi, Norton & Motus Motorcycles For Sale

read their testimonials page

Again, Sorry for getting off subject :rolleyes: :whitstling: ;)

That sounds like a great deal for not only checking the clearances but changing some shims!

The dealer where I bought my bike from a couple weeks ago is also a Harley dealer. The sell HD, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, and some Italian Brands. They're in St. Charles, IL. I'm guessing most of their business is HD like your dealer so I don't know if they have a good supply of parts on hand but, other than the normal maintenance stuff, I hopefully won't need much more. Also, I'll probably buy most things online simply for the convenience of it and I'll probably get better prices too.

I agree that that's a lot of money but as I think I mentioned in my original post, the man that makes these will charge less if he gets multiple orders.

I would love to see the tools you made and how you used them - especially how you compressed the valve springs with a modified screwdriver (if I'm understanding you correctly). Since I just bought my R3T, I haven't had the valve covers off yet so I'm not personally familiar with the setup other than the pictures in the service manual and a YouTube video. By any chance, can you supply more info about your tools and how you used them?

As for the tool I mention in this thread - yes, the price is high (but will be less if the maker gets multiple orders) but machining a single device like that takes time so it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. If it sold in large numbers, that price would come way down.

Anyway, I just posted this in case anyone is interested. I'm not recommending it. I'm just passing along some information.

Pictures of the Rocket Scientist compression tool and I'm sorry I can't remember who designed the screwdriver tool. (Please chime in and take credit.)

2016-03-24 18.09.19.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.28.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.40.jpg 2016-03-24 18.10.00.jpg

Pictures of the Rocket Scientist compression tool and I'm sorry I can't remember who designed the screwdriver tool. (Please chime in and take credit.)

2016-03-24 18.09.19.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.28.jpg 2016-03-24 18.09.40.jpg 2016-03-24 18.10.00.jpg
So I built the compression tool and it works very well...on the exhaust side. Having problems getting good access on the intake side. I have the buckets compressed and the notches lined to the outside but having problems popping the shim free. Any tips from anyone that has done this before. I don't have access to a dealer (Whitehorse, Yukon) and will have to order a cam alignment tool if I can't make the compression tool work and have to remove the cams... so for time and money, hopefully I can.

BTW, it's my 10,000 mile check and four valves were out of spec.

thanks in advance, Terry

It is hard to get the shim to pop loose at first. Using a small screwdriver just pry up on the shim at the notch in the bucket. I also used my air compressor to shoot a blast of air in there to help break the oil bond between the shim and the bucket. A strong magnet helps get it out once it breaks loose.

Last edited:
So I built the compression tool and it works very well...on the exhaust side. Having problems getting good access on the intake side. I have the buckets compressed and the notches lined to the outside but having problems popping the shim free. Any tips from anyone that has done this before. I don't have access to a dealer (Whitehorse, Yukon) and will have to order a cam alignment tool if I can't make the compression tool work and have to remove the cams... so for time and money, hopefully I can.

BTW, it's my 10,000 mile check and four valves were out of spec.

thanks in advance, Terry
terry
you don't have to buy the cam alignment tool if you need one just borrow mine I have the triumph tools and make them available to R3 owners who need them .just cover the shipping cost both way and I can send it to you

Back