Rocket III Valve compressor tool to be available again.

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I'm a new Rocket III Touring owner and I'm new to this forum. Since I do all my own work on all my machines, I knew before I bought the bike about checking and adjusting the valves and the necessity of removing the cams if they need to have the shims changed out. I found mention of the special tool that reportedly eliminated the need to remove the cams when adjusting valve clearance but I didn't see any posts by anyone who had or used one so I contacted the source that was mentioned in threads. I got immediate responses and the tool will be available if anyone wants one. I can't say how well they work, of course. The maker is trying to find a video that shows how it works. Here is the info I received from the maker. He also let me know that the price can be lowered if several people order them. I'll be interested in buying one. (Picture of the tool is at end of this post.)

"Triumph Rocket III Valve Adjustment Tool

Purpose:

The Rocket III valve adjustment special tool is designed to sigificantly cut down the time it takes to perform major valve service on all Rocket III 2300cc engines. This tool was designed with the help of licensed, factory trained Triumph technicians with over 15 years experience in all aspects of European

motorcycle mechanics. The tool has been tested and performs perfectly, saving many hours of labor costs allowing higher profit margins for service departments and technicians alike. This tool will easily pay for itself after just two major valve service operations.

Function:

The special tool allows valve adjustment to be done quickly and easily without the need to remove the camshaft, chain tensioner, cam chain, and thus eliminating the need to adjust the timing. A competent mechanic can remove and replace a shim in less than 15 minutes per valve. The valve adjustment tool works by pushing and holding the spring/bucket down to allow removal of the shim using a pick and magnet without the time consuming procedure of removing and replacing the camshaft and associated components and the resulting timing adjustment which should only be carried out by experienced technicians with all the special tools necessary to remove and replace the crankshaft, components and perform timing adjustment. Operation of the tool is so simple that anyone with basic knowledge of valve service can perform the procedure without the need for advanced training or experience with the Rocket III 2300cc engine.

Includes:

• Valve adjustment tool
  • Detailed, illustrated instructions on using the tool
  • Video demonstration explaining the use and benefits of the tool
  • Technical support for questions regarding use of the tool
Price:
we are now taking preorders in order to determine the demand and quantity to be produced. The first run will be limited and few will be leftover for stock. Prepayment is required. Delivery in 4-6 weeks, 2-3 day priority mail shipping is free for all preorders. Price of the valve adjustment tool is $249.95.

About us:

The tool is a joint effort conceived by a leading Triumph technician and Concentric Machine, Inc. a full service protyping machine shop with over 25 years of experience producing time saving special tools and procedures for the automotive and transportation industry. Past clients include Mercedes Benz, BMW and

Range Rover. The tool is being marketed by the internet department of www.pureperformancecycles.com

For more info:

If you have any questions or would like more information about the Rocket III valve adjustment tool, please contact mike@pureperformancecycles.com or call

(954)501-3163. Thank you.

Rocket Valve Tool.JPG

I don't know man. $250 seams a bit out of line for something that should be rather simple. It looks complicated in the picture. I bought a large $1.99 screwdriver at HF. Ground it down a little like in the screwdriver tool post. Couldn't do it by myself (at first) so I made the rocket scientist clampdown tool for free. That worked well. After several more tries with the screwdriver, I was able to do it that way too. So I have 2 simple tools for $1.99. It would be nice to have a real tool like the picture below, but at $250, I would certainly think many folks would look for an alternative.

I don't know man. $250 seams a bit out of line for something that should be rather simple. It looks complicated in the picture. I bought a large $1.99 screwdriver at HF. Ground it down a little like in the screwdriver tool post. Couldn't do it by myself (at first) so I made the rocket scientist clampdown tool for free. That worked well. After several more tries with the screwdriver, I was able to do it that way too. So I have 2 simple tools for $1.99. It would be nice to have a real tool like the picture below, but at $250, I would certainly think many folks would look for an alternative.
but only one needs to be purchased then it could be made available to all !! how often does one captain checks his valves clearance versus the cost of this tool.somebody has to buy one then we have all the special tools for the rocket

I could sure see the tool becoming hung up in someone's garage when needed by another.
:( :( :(

but only one needs to be purchased then it could be made available to all !! how often does one captain checks his valves clearance versus the cost of this tool.somebody has to buy one then we have all the special tools for the rocket

As Patrick said one tool could work for all of us unfortunately it has been tried over the years and the end result was one bad apple spoiling it for everyone:(

The tools looks very nice and thought out and will made. With that said, 250 is a lot for one tool to do one job. Has a technician working on motorcycles and needing to adjust valves all the time then hell yes I would buy one. But to use once every one or two years I don't know. I have thousands of dollars of tools that I will never use again. Dose anyone want to but a fuel sender unit wrench for a ford Aerostar, or how about a speedometer cable lube gun with drill attachment. Just to name a few.

I agree that that's a lot of money but as I think I mentioned in my original post, the man that makes these will charge less if he gets multiple orders.

I would love to see the tools you made and how you used them - especially how you compressed the valve springs with a modified screwdriver (if I'm understanding you correctly). Since I just bought my R3T, I haven't had the valve covers off yet so I'm not personally familiar with the setup other than the pictures in the service manual and a YouTube video. By any chance, can you supply more info about your tools and how you used them?

As for the tool I mention in this thread - yes, the price is high (but will be less if the maker gets multiple orders) but machining a single device like that takes time so it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. If it sold in large numbers, that price would come way down.

Anyway, I just posted this in case anyone is interested. I'm not recommending it. I'm just passing along some information.

As Patrick said one tool could work for all of us unfortunately it has been tried over the years and the end result was one bad apple spoiling it for everyone:(

I was thinking about that last night after posting this. I hate lending out stuff because it seems like I either never get it back or I have to hound the person who I lent it to repeatedly to get it back. But I see a possibility in this case. Suppose, for example, that the person who borrows it temporarily pays the owner a security deposit for the full price of the tool. Then, when he returns it, he gets the refund minus shipping both ways and maybe a small profit for the owner to cover his time shipping it, etc. - or something like that. It might work.

I could sure see the tool becoming hung up in someone's garage when needed by another.
:( :( :(

Yes, that's a possibility if not a probability. But see my other post where I was thinking of the borrower sending a security deposit for the full cost of the tool to the owner. There could be a charge for late return that could be deducted from the refunded security deposit. The key is that someone who keeps it too long would pay a price and they wouldn't get their security deposit back until the tool was returned. Of course, there could be other problems like the owner not refunding the security deposit after he gets the tool back but, from what I've seen, the folks here are pretty good people. And who would want their name mentioned here as ripping someone else off.

Anyway, I think there's a possible way of making it work. A little thought should figure it out so the tool doesn't get stuck in someone's garage and nobody gets ripped off.

BTW, I've posted the information about the tool on two other Rocket Forums. The more people who will buy them the less they will cost. Keep that in mind. Making just one tool is expensive.

I suggest that anyone who may be interested in buying the tool or just wants more information contact the person in my original post and let him know so he can get an idea of how many he might sell. That will affect the price.

Back