Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

BTW: Did you look at the BMW K1600 B ?
As a B owner I was also going to suggest this until I saw the OP had owned a GT previously....
I tried that one, it is in a very different category. Goldwing and rocket are far superior, faster, better acceleration, more responsive, sturdier, better construction and design.
If you need the bags, the fairing, the navi and all those things, the goldwing it's a great bike, very responsive and even more comfortable for longer rides, I really enjoyed riding one. I'll get one probably in my 70's. At 50, where I am now, the rocket really put that smile in my face everytime
Its subjective depending on the rider but the K1600 is no slouch in speed and acceleration. no idea what your criteria is for sturdier and construction but the BMW is a little dated compared to the the others.
To the OP as already discussed no one size fits all bike, you can tour on any bike its a matter of what compromises are you willing to make. Truly look at the riding you do and go from there, I have had several 2up touring bikes and the really long trips were few and far between could've done the riding I was actually doing on several other lighter bikes etc...But to truly accomplish what you want really will take 2 bikes one dedicated touring bike and one hooligan bike just my 2 cents...

JJ

Attachments

• 991456AF-AB0C-47EA-8CCD-FD739115FEEE.jpeg
    991456AF-AB0C-47EA-8CCD-FD739115FEEE.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 15
Now you're worrying me, I've had great luck with my K1200GT, I've been looking at K1600GTs.
Just traded K1600 GT for the Rocket GT. While K16 is very comfortable on the highway, it is very unmaneuverable on a standstill because the foot pegs are right at your ankle. If you have to duckwalk on a gravel path its horrible because you will keep hitting the pegs, very unsteady. Just returned from Big Bend National park and there are tons of gravel unpaved roads and being a shorter rider (5'8), it was not pleasant. Rocket GT with the mid mount modification the controls are still several inches ahead of the K1600 GT...simply a joy to maneuver.

Just traded K1600 GT for the Rocket GT. While K16 is very comfortable on the highway, it is very unmaneuverable on a standstill because the foot pegs are right at your ankle. If you have to duckwalk on a gravel path its horrible because you will keep hitting the pegs, very unsteady. Just returned from Big Bend National park and there are tons of gravel unpaved roads and being a shorter rider (5'8), it was not pleasant. Rocket GT with the mid mount modification the controls are still several inches ahead of the K1600 GT...simply a joy to maneuver.
I test rode one and decided I didn't need another land barge like my Touring. It gains 30 hp over the k12, but also 150 lbs. Going to stick with my K1200GT for now, it's 18 years old, but does and has everything I need

Back