Coming from a 99 Kawasaki ZRX1100, and a 04 Yamaha FZ1, the Roadster is very comfortable IMHO.

Having outfitted both my 2007 R3 Classic and 2010 1700 Thunderbird for "touring" it can be done...but.......I have found that since I have bought the 2014 Touring that it has the hard saddlebags, windshield, crash bars (front and rear), floorboards and running lights already with the sissy bar, pad and luggage rack already as part of the package. I think if you add up the cost of those items, labor to install them...you would probably be better off just going ahead and getting the Touring.

There are plenty of pictures of both of my previous "toured out" Triumphs in my photo album if you want an idea of what I am talking about.

I don't think the R3R would be as good a candidate for this because of the location of the pegs and lean forward position...but it is you money...do what makes you happy.

Just my two cents.

Dennis

I have to agree that you should test ride them and that should help with the decision. When I bought my touring I really wanted the sportier and meaner looking roadster. I had just retired, and we were looking for a bagger. Cost between the 2 bikes made it appeared to be cheaper to purchase the touring model with all the goodies on it then to add all of it to the roadster hopping to make it something it was not.... I was not happy with the subdued nature of the touring,and after riding it for a year to get use to it, I have since tweaked my bike with performance enhancements my only complaint now is the fact that I have totally overwhelmed the traction capabilities of the rear tire with the power from the motor.. I really think I ended up with the best of both worlds, I rode from Daytona Beach to Lexington NC before I felt like needed to get off the bike, not sure the comfort of the roadster would be the same.

I vote with Stripes. As a matter of fact I am currently in the market for a '09 Standard / Classic. I rode my Roadster from Shreveport, LA to Maggie Valley, NC earlier this year and I must say it was not an altogether pleasant experience. If your touring plan includes any 500+ mile days the Roadster will make you earn every single one of them IMHO. I love my Roadster for day rides or trips where we don't exceed 300 or so miles but for long trips with long days in the saddle I prefer to ride something else. For me it is the riding position more than anything else. As a matter of fact the wife and I are planning a reasonably long trip right now so I am tuning up the barcolounger :D

The riser works on the roadster....got one on mine. I installed highway pegs so I can stretch out and still use the pegs for sportier riding. Plan to add the Corbin Beetle Bags and possible fairing.

like Bonecarver pointed out - it is cheaper to up the T's performance than to deck out the R for touring

Back