Douglas

"Ardbeg Man"
Ride
2010 Rocket Roadster with Jardines 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Hello All-I am right on the verge of buying a 2010 RIII Roadster-one of my issues is that i eventually, closer to retirement, want to set it up for touring. The MC shop of course sez "No Problem!" Is setting this bike up for touring going to be a major project? Should i wait until I come across a decent deal on a RIII touring model? Thanks in advance for all advice. Douglas in Alaska

Personally I'd go the Roadster put on some Corbin Hard bags you can even convert to having foot boards instead of pegs (only a little messing around) JMO :cool:

Any words of Encourgement?

Thanks for the conversion advice...Probably the only thing holding me back now is that, well, the last time i was on a motorcycle was 1978-a Yamaha YZ 400. I am slightly nervous about the potential to kill myself. I guess i just need to draw a deep breath and sign the papers. Douglas

Thanks for the conversion advice...Probably the only thing holding me back now is that, well, the last time i was on a motorcycle was 1978-a Yamaha YZ 400. I am slightly nervous about the potential to kill myself. I guess i just need to draw a deep breath and sign the papers. Douglas

You won't regret having her!! Normally, I'd recommend something a little "smaller" to get back in the saddle with, so definitely take your time, getting your balance on two wheels again. I would recommend taking a MSF type safety course on her and ride cautious (not nervous) for a bit. She'll put you on the pillar if you're not ready for it! But with a little time and getting used to her, you'll be yanking back on the throttle before you know it and glad you got it.

I'm pretty much doing what you be thinkin... Just got corbin bags on mine and I luv em. Also did sissy bar, rack, Windshield and risers on the front. check out my pics maybe you like. I still got do something about those pipes tho.:)

one of my issues is that i eventually, closer to retirement, want to set it up for touring.
Solo or with Passenger? - I get the feeling the Tourer is designed more for dual backsides.

You can set a Roadster up with cases/screen etc with no issues. You can put a good 2-up seat on a Roadster. You can fit extra bits to sort out passenger ergonomics.

You cane tune a Tourer up and a Roadster down.

imo it comes down to aesthetics and whether you like the speedo in the tank or not.

I came VERY close to getting a tourer. To be honest I went for a standard as much for the deal I got from the dealer at the time.

Either has the important ingredient to be a supreme tourer - 2300cc. Pick the one you like best and set it up the way you want. Simple really.

It depends...
to set any one of them up like a "True" Touring model,
radio, garmin, fairing, barcolounger, harley or vision,
would be an enormous undertaking.
If you're happy with just a shield or a naked batwing fairing,
then it's just dollars and doing it.
Ssince it's been quite awhile since you rode,
I'd take a test ride first before I signed anything...
If you think you can enjoy it without getting in a bind, you'll know.
last thing I'd want to see is you or anybody else riding outside their comfort zone.
THAT"S the place where accidents happen.
Only YOU can judge for yourself if you want it or not.
Good luck.

Take the MSF safety course....you should do this before getting on your new bike, especially if it's been as long as you say.

It will come back to you quickly....enjoy.

Hello All-I am right on the verge of buying a 2010 RIII Roadster-one of my issues is that i eventually, closer to retirement, want to set it up for touring. The MC shop of course sez "No Problem!" Is setting this bike up for touring going to be a major project? Should i wait until I come across a decent deal on a RIII touring model? Thanks in advance for all advice. Douglas in Alaska

I do not recommend going with the Roadster. I have found the riding position of the Roadster to not be agreeable with my youth challenged body. The bars and peg locations made me lean forward more in a "sport" position to where my seat's back rest was pretty much non functional. It nearly killed me when I went out to get it in NC on the ride back to TX. I was severely dismayed and ready to sell it. I tried to convert the parts over from my Standard Rocket (pull back bars and floor boards) but it is too much involved. The cables on a Roadster are made shorter than the Standard model.

I did get some relief after my mc/mechanic/machinist/genius successfully bent the bars back enough (without chrome damage) to where I get by without back cramps.

I will probably be selling it (the Roadster) when the Standard is back up and running. (I promise it will be dark side by then!)

I would recommend looking for a post 08 Standard model at a good price as it has the larger rear tire (240 vs 180) on the Touring (which I feel is important.) And, the STD is compatible with either risers or taller bars. Plus, the foot position is better for us older folks. The reason for recommending the post 08 model is..... theoretically, Triumph has made all the upgrades that plagued the pre-08's ie heavier duty gears, wiring harness upgrades, stepper motors, etc....

If you buy a pre-08, I'd recommend trying to allocate an extra 3K (put off to the side) to pay for the upgrade you will possibly need at some point in time. I had to get my 06 upgraded after only 2K miles on the odometer.

Back