Riding style and gearbnox problems

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Is it really the fact that if you ride the rocket hard the gearbox explodes and if you are a fairly medium/easy rider they are trouble free?

I find the performance fantastic without hammering the life out of it. It still scares me on the acceleration. (and i have a Hayabusa too and that scares me too if i get too handy with the throttle).
But i cannot live without them.

Dream on your turn is coming. My bike made it to 68,000 and then one morning after getting gas got on the highway and found quickly that forth gear was not there. I live in Oklahoma which is primarily flat and very open roads. Most of the miles on my bike is done around 70 to 80 miles a hour with very few stops. Enjoy riding back and forth to work which totals about 110 miles a day. Your 2014 is a prime candidate as much so as my 2015 X. Bike is modestly built. Paul's three into one, Street cams and Ramair. Last dyno was at 168 horse. Kept the bike modestly built knowing i would rack up some miles. Figured at 68,000 i was good. That is what i get for thinking.

I don't think all the gearboxes explode, or are a ticking time bomb. Some of them have definitely failed. There has been speculation before that the majority, or a higher percentage, of the transmission failures have came on higher horsepower bikes. I don't know if it's true or not, but I think any vehicle if you add power or ride it extremely hard, it places more stress on stuff, and sometimes stuff breaks.

Dream on your turn is coming. My bike made it to 68,000 and then one morning after getting gas got on the highway and found quickly that forth gear was not there. I live in Oklahoma which is primarily flat and very open roads. Most of the miles on my bike is done around 70 to 80 miles a hour with very few stops. Enjoy riding back and forth to work which totals about 110 miles a day. Your 2014 is a prime candidate as much so as my 2015 X. Bike is modestly built. Paul's three into one, Street cams and Ramair. Last dyno was at 168 horse. Kept the bike modestly built knowing i would rack up some miles. Figured at 68,000 i was good. That is what i get for thinking.
I did not remember that you broke 4th gear, most of the bikes have been the circlip or rounded dogs

Forth gear is gone. Given mine is a 2015 you can bet the circlip is gone too. Seems to be a real issue with the 2012 on Roadsters. Especially the 2014 and 2015 Roadsters. I have no fourth gear just a grinding noise. 1ST 2ND and 3RD no problem. If you shifted quick you could find 5TH. Only did that one time. Parked it.

Is it really the fact that if you ride the rocket hard the gearbox explodes and if you are a fairly medium/easy rider they are trouble free?

I find the performance fantastic without hammering the life out of it. It still scares me on the acceleration. (and i have a Hayabusa too and that scares me too if i get too handy with the throttle).
But i cannot live without them.
I have a modified 2014 Roadster and the tranny is still ok. I’m going to ride it till it breaks, and if it does not then I’ll save money. I would not get to worried that some have had issues, worry will not prevent troubles. Enjoy every ride and shift it the way you want to.

Pound the crap out of anything mechanical and sooner than later it will go tits up. If you ride it aggressively I would think you should be fine just don't make it a point to beat the hell out of it. If you paid good money for it (and you did) don't ride it like you stole it, ride it like your warranty is up even if it isn't.;)

Pound the crap out of anything mechanical and sooner than later it will go tits up. If you ride it aggressively I would think you should be fine just don't make it a point to beat the hell out of it. If you paid good money for it (and you did) don't ride it like you stole it, ride it like your warranty is up even if it isn't.;)
Mouse is sort of correct. Try using the clutch a little and close the throttle a tad during shifts.:roll:

I have a modified 2014 Roadster and the tranny is still ok. I’m going to ride it till it breaks, and if it does not then I’ll save money. I would not get to worried that some have had issues, worry will not prevent troubles. Enjoy every ride and shift it the way you want to.
Yes, thats true. I am not too worried but it is always in the back of my mind. Mine is a 2014 Roadster too.

Back