Revisiting my SH847 regulator/rectifier mount.

And by the way @DEcosse - that SH847 gets hot HOT just at idle with the side cover off.

I know I saw (and was sold) on that thermal image comparison you showed back when - I'm just reporting from my fingertips as FYI. Not saying it means anything - maybe just adjusting expectations.

Still a fantastic investment if it saves ever having to go into the stator.

And by the way @DEcosse - that SH847 gets hot HOT just at idle with the side cover off.

I know I saw (and was sold) on that thermal image comparison you showed back when - I'm just reporting from my fingertips as FYI. Not saying it means anything - maybe just adjusting expectations.

Still a fantastic investment if it saves ever having to go into the stator.

Going to start her up and get a reading with my laser thermometer.

0BD0E7F3-EB7D-4C02-AE98-C27ABA38CE3B.jpeg 0439BE4D-A152-4637-BA47-0890D9612433.jpeg
Going to start her up and get a reading with my laser thermometer.

... I understand the stock one is worse.

No, the stock one is likely cooler - 'old-school' SCR Shunt Regulators ran REALLY hot; MOSFET Shunt Regulators (OEM R3) actually run relatively cool.
(180F is not what I would say "hot" - way cooler than your engine cases in comparison - consider your coolant is probably over 200F most of the time)

The temp comparison pictures I had shown earlier of primary interest were of the stator - the STATOR runs much cooler with a Series R/R and that is fundamentally why we want it.
(the Series R/R itself is probably cooler than a SCR R/R, but hotter than a MOSFET Shunt R/R)

Last edited:
image.jpg 6E3E5E02-50C9-43E7-BA58-BC5856A9E554.jpeg DEE61E8D-AE68-413C-8CB0-5A2E62EF66EC.jpeg 3C8B0FFF-E514-4740-BF7B-89BDFDBEDC11.jpeg Finally installed the rectifier and @Bedifferent excellent mounting plate!!
20 minute job, 10 to figure out how to remove rectifier connectors from existing rectifier (without breaking them) and 10 to mount the new one with bracket.

Would recommend @Bedifferent mounting plate to anyone doing this upgrade!!

Great! If you're happy, I'm happy. Thanks for the follow up.

Back