Revisiting my SH847 regulator/rectifier mount.

I have a 2014 R3T. I have purchased the Suzuki rectifier. It definitely is too big to fit in the place where the OEM one is located. I have 2, 5 connector Blue Sea Systems Common BusBars for the common ground for electrical additions zip tied to the evaporator canister on the left side. If I remove the canister, I will have to find another place to mount these. I was wondering what y'all's collective wisdom would think of hanging it from the bar that is behind the battery, which supports the seat? It would hang down between the battery and the plastic in front of the rear fender. I would need to extend the connectors to reach there. Would the heat from the rectifier create any problems? Is that a protected enough position for it?

For anyone so interesting, @DEcosse makes an extension -- for a small fee -- that will allow the new R/R to be moved, as in my case, in the cavity once occupied by the air filter, made free by the RAM Air.

For anyone so interesting, @DEcosse makes an extension -- for a small fee -- that will allow the new R/R to be moved, as in my case, in the cavity once occupied by the air filter, made free by the RAM Air.
Do you have any pictures to post of your install?

Does it not get a bit hot in there with no airflow?

I mounted mine with the bracket I made. It sets nicely behind the side cover and I actually added some small additional heat sinks to the back of mine. I check it after riding for a couple hours on a hot day. It was way too hot to handle so it gets pretty warm. It probably is within the temperature dissipation the device can handle, but personally I would be reluctant to put it in the filter box. This is especially true if you have plugged the large snorkel opening. I can't imagine any significant air flow in the box as it is no longer pulling fresh air from under the seat.

I actually considered adding a small 12 volt computer case fan (which I bought) to the back of the heat sinks. I could easily run it off my Amplink power controller. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Just my opinion on the matter after having felt it while in use.

Back