Realistic Fuel Mileage?

Just FYI-
Exorbidant speedo and odo errors do suck!
I found the odo on my Roadster read an actual 104 miles for every reported 100 miles due to the speedo reading too fast.
That's a +4%, my motor at 80,000 miles has actually traveled 3200 miles less.
Putting on the ExcedraMax made my speedo agree with my Garmin.but
The odo is still not accurate, but a little closer. I accept this as my speed is more important to my wallet and driving record than is my distance.
I agree with you about speedo/odo reading high, but all vehicles I have had, have been between 5 and 10 % out. As I understand it, they set them this way to help you from loosing your licence and also perhaps more importantly to them, saves you from suing them for giving a low reading.
In effect, then, to keep you on the right side of the speed limit.
It's probably an antiquated way of doing it with the technology available these days, but it is how it is and to my knowledge, it's always been that way.
Having said all that, I will testify that my Rocket is reading very noticeably high compared with my other vehicles. It's at the very top end of the predicted percentage error spectrum at 10% when checked against my sat nav.
Which brings me to my question to anyone out there who knows the answer:

How accurate is the live speed reading on a good quality sat nav?

I use a Garmin Zumo-XT, which I consider to be good quality, but i'm far from being an expert on that score.

Then there's my next question:

How accurate is the distance given on a system like Google Maps, or for that matter, Garmin or Tom Tom?

I mean, if they have a margin of error built in too, how do we really know how fast or how far we really travel on a tank of gas?

Last edited:
that is exactly correct however we were talking about odometer and mileage.
so if you doubled the size of the tire then the odometer would re ad the same but you would be going twice as far there for you would have to double the miles to get correct mileage.
its at the end of the day and i have forget the question and i think that we are comparing apples and oranges lol
Where do you think the odometer reading comes from? :roll:

This only applies to bring the reading up to actual, a tire size larger than that will start giving you more miles on the odometer than you are traveling. Think about skateboard wheels vs the old big wheel bicycles. Which wheel is turning more (Speed) at the same distance (odometer)? They both get the info from the same signal.

Disclaimer to Mighty Mouse: My words below aren't intended to have a go at you. I'm only quoting your comment as an example so I can offer a different perspective on the subject. I trust you don't mind me doing that.
Ok, here goes...
It doesn't matter to you and probably a few others on here (and other forums, when I come to think of it), because you ride in areas where there are gas stations within a 'Rocket 3 push down the road' distance, which, lets face it has to be a VERY short distance.
Count yourselves very fortunate on that score.
The ones that are not in that fortunate situation probably don't need to hear that. Instead they would most likely welcome advice about how far is too far before the gas runs out and they have to call the tow truck.
I speak from experience when I say that knowing a ball park figure on tank range is very important. I've never run dry ever, but i've come extremely close on a large number of occasions and it's stressful when you get caught short. This happens sometimes when you're touring and planning ahead isn't always as easy as it seems in reality.

I remember at least two such occasions. One when I was riding in Scotland and at 9 in the evening I was just a fraction too late to get to the only gas station in a twenty mile radius with twenty mile so my destination.
The light was fading and the temperature was dropping like a stone. I couldn't be sure if I had twenty miles left in the tank. I didn't think I was taking a gamble when I passed by the previous gas station because I knew there was one twenty miles ahead, but found it shut for the night.
So, to cut a long story short I knocked on some doors and found out who ran the station and asked them if they would help a good man out of a spot of bother and they kindly obliged, and I got to my destination without freezing to death on the next hill road.
The other was riding down through Germany on an autobahn in 96 F heat in the midday sun. Word of advice, be careful not to mis calculate your tank range on an autobahn, especially if you're not a regular on the route in question.
Bottom line, is folks aren't asking in order to weigh up if they are prepared to pay the gas economy of the bike, they are asking because they don't want to run out between gas stations.

Some folks seem to like to point out how people who ask the question somehow admitting that they are too tight to pay the fuel costs on a big and expensive bike like the Rocket, but that's not why they are asking.

With that in mind, I suggest it's the most helpful if we think we know how far we can go on a tank safely, we should state the figure and after half a dozen of us do that, and perhaps take an average, we most likely will arrive at a figure that can be considered a useful real world guide and a helpful answer to their question, because it does matter to some folks, and after all it's good to help a fellow biker out........as long as they don't ask for any of us to help them push their Rocket to the next gas station in Lochgilphead at night in the dark over twenty miles of twisty hill roads, blind corners and no sidewalks to push the beast on so they don't get hit by a night time supermarket delivery lorry....Forgot to mention that there's no mobile phone signal so not possible to call for a tow truck.......Did I mention about how I love touring Scotland on a bike....er....on a full tank of gas. 😇

In the good old days (remember them? lol...) we didn't have fuel gauges. We had a fuel tap that had three positions. Remember those old things?
Well they were often not all that helpful a lot of the time in practice because the reserve gave you only about 8 miles till empty, but at least you knew exactly what cards you'd been dealt at the point you had to reach for the reserve position. When fancy gauges came along all you got was much more un defined as a countdown to zero.
Bring back the reserve fuel feature is what I say !
Triumph are you listening?
Probably not.
Don't make me get on a flight to the UK!!! I have zero problem with what you stated and agree with you. California really doesn't have a gas station every block. Out in the Sierra's or desert areas you could go 60 to 80 miles without one. Starbucks are still every quarter mile though😂. I'm just a weird OCD guy that feels the need to stop or start looking on a longish trip for a gas station. On my 'planned' trip down to Santa Barbara and up through Yosemite trip this summer has my gas stations and lodging picked out already. I wish I could wing it but it's not in my DNA. My neck and back also dictate my length of riding also in a given day. 100 to 120 miles max with my ass and teeth clinched tight with anything over 100 miles looking for gas. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. One last thing. Having all those gas stations is due to "all those cars' on the road. So, so many cars. You can get away on the backroads although the backroads are nothing but potholes anymore. SMH Cheers:thumbsup:
I forgot to ask what in the hell are you doing riding out in the middle of nowhere at 9:00 at night. It's bedtime!

Don't make me get on a flight to the UK!!! I have zero problem with what you stated and agree with you. California really doesn't have a gas station every block. Out in the Sierra's or desert areas you could go 60 to 80 miles without one. Starbucks are still every quarter mile though😂. I'm just a weird OCD guy that feels the need to stop or start looking on a longish trip for a gas station. On my 'planned' trip down to Santa Barbara and up through Yosemite trip this summer has my gas stations and lodging picked out already. I wish I could wing it but it's not in my DNA. My neck and back also dictate my length of riding also in a given day. 100 to 120 miles max with my ass and teeth clinched tight with anything over 100 miles looking for gas. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. One last thing. Having all those gas stations is due to "all those cars' on the road. So, so many cars. You can get away on the backroads although the backroads are nothing but potholes anymore. SMH Cheers:thumbsup:
I forgot to ask what in the hell are you doing riding out in the middle of nowhere at 9:00 at night. It's bedtime!
Thanks for your story MM, I enjoy reading about how things are over the pond.
That's not to say I haven't travelled around in the US, but I haven't travelled extensively & it's been about 14 years since the last time.

Yes, I know....9 in the evening. What was I thinking!?.......lol.... I could have been attacked by a stray haggis at that time of night. :oops:

Another benefit of the larger diameter Exedra Max on the newer models is that you can now go faster. :eek: 🤪

Since the ECU is looking for 137 mph or whatever it is set at to reign you in, the speedometer is now reading lower allowing the bike to go faster before nanny steps in. Extra actual mph and 6% less miles on the odometer. It's like a free gear change. 🤑🤠 Pretty much the only way to change the final drive ratio without machining new trans gears.

Well there goes the fuel mileage. But at least it's more accurate.

And faster.

I resolved the issue with a tank upgrade

Riding my 2020 GT locally, if i get around 200km out of a full tank, I consider that pretty good, when out touring on the bike and driving like a normal person would, i have made it to 361km on a full tank to dead empty, (luckily the gas station was on the other side of the intersection when the tank went dry)

Riding my 2020 GT locally, if i get around 200km out of a full tank, I consider that pretty good, when out touring on the bike and driving like a normal person would, i have made it to 361km on a full tank to dead empty, (luckily the gas station was on the other side of the intersection when the tank went dry)
224 miles😟? I start getting the squirts if I hit 120 miles and I'm looking for a gas station. I don't think anyone has gone over 200 miles. You got nerves of steal.:thumbsup:

Back