Ramair /induction noise ?

Did I mention I love the sound of the Ramair when your having a crack on a Mt road.
I keep finding myself staying one gear below what i should be in for cruising along the M1 and getting the revs up over 3 k on short jumps between slow moving groups of cars just to hear that induction noise :)

FWIW - After installing the CES headers (trip K&Ns already in place) and getting an excellent dyno, where the Air/fuel runs straight and true throughout, mine runs WAY faster and awesome smooth.
However, my fuel consumption went down from 35 to 29. When able, I shall see if my tuner can help this out some, but I am happy, happy in either regard!
WELL that will happen if your tuning for max HP in the cruising range with pipes tuned for low end power

I am pretty consistant getting 15km per litre at 100 to 120 kph highway riding with Wayns map and Hanso 20 map in the PCV & A/T. It's been a while but I think I was getting 17 kpl when the bike was stock.

The flip-side of that is ... more power = less throttle needed to achieve the same speed = better fuel economy for a given speed.

<disclaimer> Of course there are many other factors that come in to play to effect fuel economy so my simplified equation does not always return a net improvement in fuel economy <\disclaimer>
What's this less throttle business? The throttle stop is there for a reason.... to give you something to hold it against.

Had my ramair installed this afternoon.... I only had a little time to play.

I love the induction noise as for "crickets" i have no idea what ppl are hearing but i havent heard anything off puting.

Now that a few Owners are running the Ramair just wondering if the induction noise (chirping) is like the underclaw K&N filters. Anyone actually swapped from the K&N set-up to Ramair .. what do you reckon ?
did just that a year ago never noticed any chirping before nor after I guess the rumble of the jardine covers most any ancillary noise!

Just out of interest and not knocking anyone for fitting a Ramair filter but how do you know how much extra HP ,have you had the bike Dynoed with the stock filter then had the Ramair fitted and re Dynoed with the same tuner .
I Wonder how many of you would want to pay for 2 Dyno sessions or have someone else fit it for you .
Just asking the question?
I installed the ramair simply because it did not interfere with the claw

Hey all
Can a triumph dealer retune stock computer etc as have been thinking of getting ram air and already have shorty exhaust
Or do I need something like tune boy or power commander etc

I am waiting for them to email me a copy of the dyno map. I'll put it up here when I receive it.

I didn't go in to the dyno exercise expecting huge power changes as I had already been running with a modified map with secondaries opened etc. My primary aim was to ensure timing and air:fuel was optimal.

Seat of the pants verdict is that the bike is a lot smoother and appears to have more power across the RPM rev range.

On the post-dyno test run I came across a nice steep hill and gunned it at the bottom just to see what throttle response was like. Niiiccce. When I next looked at the speedo I was sitting on 155km/h (an oops moment given that it was a 60km/h zone).

A couple of comments from the tuner …
  • Even with the modified map my bike was running lean in a number of places, but especially at the high-end 4500RPM and above. He had to throw in an additional 30% in the fuel tables at the high end to fix.
  • The L tables needed quite a bit of work apparently. If I understand it correctly this is the table the bike uses at low RPM such as heavy traffic etc (happy to be beaten up for the wrong definition). On the ride home I noticed marked improvements in the bike in this area.
  • His initial comments on viewing my modified map is that the timing appeared to be very advanced. I haven't looked at what changes he made in that area. I'll download the map today and post some info on the changes.
Some stats ... the bike was on the dyno for about 5 hours. Not all that was running of course. Checking the ODO when he pulled it off the dyno he had done 127 km.

I'll post further updates when I have the dyno map and have had a chance to download and analyse the map.

Hey buddy who did u use for your dyno and what are you using tune boy or power commander etc
Thanks

Gibbon - the dealer will most likely only load an "authorized" tune into ECU and will not be correct for your setup. Tuners like the PCV, Dobrek etc. give you ability to change fuel map but not other things - and you need someway to know you are making the correct changes. Most of them offer a wider varity of base maps than Triumph that will get you closer. TuneECU (free version of Tune Boy) allows you to make more changes - not just to fuel but rev limiter, speedo, cooling fan etc. What ever you choose you should still get a dyno run to verify changes you made.

Back