Ramair filter servicing

You want to know the best part about foam vs cotton gauze?

When dirty cotton gauze flows like ****. I mean seriously, devastating to horsepower bad. I know of an R3 that showed a loss of 30whp from filthy K&N filters....

When foam is dirty, you lose a little filtering efficiency and a couple of horsepower, but it still flows quite well.

This is why it's used in desert racing, not it's filtering ability, not it's robustness vs cotton, not weight, not cost. It keeps flowing even when filthy.

Gently wash as 1olbull said, mild soap, warm water, minimal manual agitation, let the flowing water (inside to outside) do the work. Dry overnight and just dust on aerosol oil spray, done.

My 3 year old PX-600 has NEVER been cleaned, on and off back to back testing was a whopping loss of 1.5whp, from 256 to 257.5, or, 0.5%.

No, but as I mention, another captain has and saw a 30hp gain after simply cleaning the filters.

It's a well documented effect elsewhere as well.

Looks like something foreign got on there that attacked the foam.
I've had termites building pyramids in my throttle bodies and mice nesting in my battery box and eatin into my wiring and power commander before, but this had just plain perished

Come think of it I remember checking the crank filter that came with it had to be replaced after a short while the rubber had split worth keeping an eye on

Come think of it I remember checking the crank filter that came with it had to be replaced after a short while the rubber had split worth keeping an eye on

Critters in the garage?! :eek:

The weakest link in the whole setup, imo, is the breather filter. The hot oil rich air attacks it and it degrades, it's also in a very warm location that can get wet in rainy weather. A large part of the reason for my evac setup.

Back