Ramair + crankcase pressure = blown cam cover gasket?!

I would imagine its easier to run a pipe straight from the breather where the small filter would be directly to the back of your Ramair between 1 nd 2 throttle bodies if you want to go that route? Although hundreds of guys on here have Ramairs installed and few have any problems so I think its best to leave mine as is unless I see a problem occurring.

Yup, I got to thinking after my post I'm over thinking this. Just run a hose direct like RocketScientist and be done with it. Looks like there will be plenty of room in the Ramair to put another bung. We'll see...

My factory valve cover gasket started to leak around 20,000 miles. Bike was completely stock. Around 23,000 miles did a valve check and had a few out of adjustment. I completely removed the throttle bodies and cleaned it up plus oiled the areas that Warp9 recommended. This gave me a wide open area with plenty of room to install valve cover gasket and valve cover. Took my sweet time torquing the valve cover down evenly. Followed service manual on recommendations and parts that should be replaced. That is how I ended up with Ramair. No way was I going to reinstall the stock system. Well now at close to 37,000 miles I have a valve gasket that looks like it was installed yesterday. No leaks no curls. Thought maybe truimph had changed to different manufacture on the gasket but after doing the work myself and having the results that i have had would have to say the factory is screwing it up. Several folks on here have had the Dealerships replace the gasket without much luck. After a few thousand miles the gasket starts to curl and leak. Patience, Blue loctite, and a #amn good torque wrench is all that is required. ;););););););)

Interesting discussion on the crank case breather. I never gave it a thought until I bought my Ram Air kit. What to do with the crank case breather is an old Triumph and Harley problem. On my 650s it used to run from under the engine and back along the top of the fender to the rear. On my shovel and early model Evo, the hose just hung down, creating the oil mess. With the early model Evos the vent hose went up into the intake which had a sponge substance as an air cleaner. It became an oily mess fairly quickly and had to be cleaned, which is why I changed over to a Screaming Eagle intake and routed the line to the underside of the frame in front of the swingarm. I even kept a small filter on it like the one that comes with the Ram Air kit but a lot of that stuff still gets out. Harley fixed that with vented heads, where all that dirty, lower case oily crap is routed into the heads. I know, this is the way it is done on virtually all bikes now and it is EPA compliant to feed the vented back into the engine. Apparently with Triumph, it goes into the air intake.

Hmmmmmmmm. IF I install the Ram Air, I'll initially leave the crank vent hooked up to the original air box and probably put some type of sponge filter in there to catch any oil mess. I'm sure it is probably not as bad as the old Triumphs and Harleys, especially since the tube can be tied into one of the trip K&Ns without any issue, but I'll just watch it for awhile to see how it goes. I'm sure when I open it up to do the Ram Air install I'll have some kind of blinding flash of light and think of a proper fix.

Mike,
This has worked well for me over 5 years.
Thanks to this thread and another poster's idea, I shall also add a towel over the base of my air box just for some added protection!

Mike,
This has worked well for me over 5 years.
Thanks to this thread and another poster's idea, I shall also add a towel over the base of my air box just for some added protection!

Thanks Steve and that's a good endorsement. Red shop towels are cheap at the China Shop not far from your place. I'm not going to do any mods until we can get together over a cup of coffee one morning and talk about all of this.And let's do that soon.

I'm hauling my sidecar rig down to Death Valley on about the 19th for a week or so. We're staging out of Beatty, NV. I've got to get out of this darn PACNORWEST weather before I start to mold on my north side.
198 (1632 x 1224).jpg

Last edited:
I assume you've been there before?
A cup sounds good to me.
Anytime this next week would be fine. Just let me know so I can get it in my calendar.

I assume you've been there before?
A cup sounds good to me.
Anytime this next week would be fine. Just let me know so I can get it in my calendar.

Have ridden Death Valley on the pictured VStrom before I hacked it. My son rode his DL1000. We camped at Panamint Springs The weather was beautiful and the riding great. I'm done with sleeping on the ground though. One of the riding buddies who was with us has staged out of Beatty and said the lodging costs are reasonable. I just found out there are a few bordellos too. Another riding buddy, a Canadian, said he was at a tavern having a drink and three of the local "professional" ladies were in there playing pool. While they awaited their next customers. Funny.

My schedule is pretty clear next week so I'll call you soonest.

The main problem is in fitting these type of rocker cover gaskets is 95% of so called mechanics dont know the meaning of a "grease and oil free surface" and what happens is when the cover gets nailed down it just slides the rubber out on greasy mating surfaces..The rubber needs to grip and not slide..

Back