Cam cover gasket tear

Bigwalleye

.020 Over
Ride
17 rocket 3 roadster
Hay - got a 2015 roadster with 7800 miles and noticed a tear on the cam cover seal. Not sure how it tore. what else should I do while I am replacing that seal. Bike is bone stock. I have basic mechanical skills and on a budget. Thanks

Attachments

• 521E26AC-D453-40A9-88D6-6C8D05A40900.jpeg
    521E26AC-D453-40A9-88D6-6C8D05A40900.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 3F1D8ABC-038C-4A0A-ABFA-ECD4985D3943.jpeg
    3F1D8ABC-038C-4A0A-ABFA-ECD4985D3943.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 16
Yes it is torn, but is it leaking? If it isn't leaking I would leave it and get a Ramair filter (or K&Ns) and perhaps an aftermarket exhaust so that when I had it taken apart for the cam cover gasket I could do the rest. If you can make it to 20K you have to take it apart then to check valve clearances anyhow.

But then again with Murphy's Law if you leave it until later it will start leaking as soon as the weather gets really nice and you want to ride.

It's a tossup. But one thing for sure, if it still has the stock air intake plumbing once it comes off it needs to stay off.

bob

Its the cover. Pedro spotted the are made different from the older ones. But I agree if it aint leaking leave it aline until you either have to run the valves or it starts leaking. (Unless of course you got some Christmas Cams to install :) say from OZ :) then just get a older cam cover like off a 06 or 07. I think thats when the black covers started.

Last two valve cover gaskets i have installed never leaked or twisted. Both lasted 20,000 miles. Guess it is how you hold your mouth while torquing down the cover:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Last two valve cover gaskets i have installed never leaked or twisted. Both lasted 20,000 miles. Guess it is how you hold your mouth while torquing down the cover:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
No its holding you face straight :)

Seriously though they did change the gasket surface on the newer covers and then the leaks started happening. Not that you can't put the newer ones on successfully. I have been reusing the same gasket for years.

Read many threads on Ramair. After install that I need a new tune? I see lots of threads with Ramair and exhaust but if I am just doing the filter for now do I need a tune and which one should I use. Thanks

Read many threads on Ramair. After install that I need a new tune? I see lots of threads with Ramair and exhaust but if I am just doing the filter for now do I need a tune and which one should I use. Thanks
Do a 12 minute thing. Let the bike run until the fan comes on and run for twelve minutes. Don't touch the throttle. Will still run a bit on the lean side but you will be OK.

Back