TRIIICK

Living Legend
Ride
05 Rocket III 01 Roadking 08 Busa
Thought I'd change the anti-freeze while the Rocket lies dormant for these winter months. The dealer that did the last change went out of business and over charged me . How involved is it. Would appreciate some help walking me through the process. Thanks

Just did mine, piece of cake. Remove lower hose, remove drain bolt on water pump, and remove bleeder bolt up by the #1 throttle body, and remove overflow tank, clean and replace.
Reinstall lower hose and drain bolt, fill with distilled water till it comes out of bleeder hole reinstall bleeder bolt, start and run until fan comes on a couple times.

Repeat above but install antifreeze this time and your done. Make sure you get a new copper washer for the drain bolt, mine weeped a little and I had to over torque it a little to stop the weep. Be careful, the drain bolt is stainless steel and can snap easily if torqued to much

Up to 50 degrees lower temp??? I doubt it, maybe 10degrees but then again have not rode in August since the change.

From Engine Ice's website FAQs:
Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant ™ uses propylene glycol, which has been proven to eliminate water pump gasket and seal failures. It has also shown in high load, high stress conditions to reduce operating temperatures more than standard coolants. Individual results will vary. On average, most realize a temperature reduction of approximately 15-20Fº.

Just did mine, piece of cake. Remove lower hose, remove drain bolt on water pump, and remove bleeder bolt up by the #1 throttle body, and remove overflow tank, clean and replace.
Reinstall lower hose and drain bolt, fill with distilled water till it comes out of bleeder hole reinstall bleeder bolt, start and run until fan comes on a couple times.

Repeat above but install antifreeze this time and your done. Make sure you get a new copper washer for the drain bolt, mine weeped a little and I had to over torque it a little to stop the weep. Be careful, the drain bolt is stainless steel and can snap easily if torqued to much
Thanks Jag appreciate your input with your directions and this video i shouldn't screw it up too badly:thumbsup:
Will one flush with distilled water be enough to clean it out..?

Thanks Jag appreciate your input with your directions and this video i shouldn't screw it up too badly:thumbsup:

Also from Engine Ice's website FAQ:

Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year. For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform. There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice. For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50
  2. Fill system with the solution
  3. Run engine until warm
  4. Let cool
  5. Drain
  6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar
  7. Fill with coolant of choice
This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.
FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions. :whitstling:

Once is probably enough, plus I poured water into the radiator and let it drain thru one additional time and then sucked the excess out of the water pump with a turkey baster.. If my bike was older I may have done the 50/50 mix of white vinegar, but my fluid was clean and I just washed out the old stuff

If you need a copper washer I could post one to you, I bought ten of them they were only 90 cents but took 14 days to get thru triumph. Send me a pm if you want a washer.. No washer needed on the bleeder bolt.
Put on about 150 miles today and no leaks or overheating problems, but with all the salt on the roads my bike looked like I ran thru the bonnieville salt flats!! Just spent the last hour cleaning her off!!

Back